Preparing drywall for paint
You do want to vacume the walls w/a brush-end vacume attachment. Otherwise, the roller/brush will pick up the drywall powder and just start 'clumping' it. That will just make more work. Do be careful how you vacume because the "other end" of the vacume BLOWS air !!!
Do be sure to use a quality Primer/Sealer. Not just a Primer. You want to SEAL the dry mud. Don't hesitate to put on a 2nd coat of Primer/Sealer. New drywall and mud really soaks it up! Or at least put on a HEAVY 1st coat. Forget about the extra $$$ for a 2nd coat of Primer/Sealer. It's worth it.
Also, plan on 2 coats of topcoat paint. I'm not a big fan of using the paint in the Big Box Stores. I like the higher quality paints from the neighborhood Finneran-Haley, Sherwin-Williams, and so on. Again, it's $$$ well spent.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
It’s goes on nice and thick and will completely seal anything! I personally had to wear a respirator as It make me feel sick the first time I used it (my wife had NO problems however) but it’s just the greatest thing ever. You can even buy it in 5 gallon buckets too if you need that much.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING