The total cost of his deck, I believe, was about $1100. This is for everything, including the power auger to dig the holes, the cement for the footings, the cement for the landing at the bottom of the stairs, and for the rock underneath the deck to prevent weeds. Also, my father-in-law wanted horizontal railing instead of the more modern vertical ballusters. Also, the ledger was installed about 1 year prior to the installation of his deck. My father-in-law also decided he wanted his deck sturdy, so he wanted his joists set at 12" on center using 2x10 treated lumber instead of the more common 16" or 24" on center with 2x8s.
There are many things to consider when trying to estimate the cost of a deck. I believe that about $1500 should be sufficient. The cost I came up with was at a home improvement store in Minnesota.
If I could offer some advice, if you are considering building a 15x15 deck, it might be a better idea to replan for a 16x15 deck since most lumber comes in 16 foot peices. That will both save you time since you will not have to cut each board down to size and it will add 15 square feet to your deck without taking up too much more yard space.
Most home improvement stores will have a section where you can pick out deck plans. These plans will give you a list of lumber and the cost.
I hope this will help you!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight