The total cost of his deck, I believe, was about $1100. This is for everything, including the power auger to dig the holes, the cement for the footings, the cement for the landing at the bottom of the stairs, and for the rock underneath the deck to prevent weeds. Also, my father-in-law wanted horizontal railing instead of the more modern vertical ballusters. Also, the ledger was installed about 1 year prior to the installation of his deck. My father-in-law also decided he wanted his deck sturdy, so he wanted his joists set at 12" on center using 2x10 treated lumber instead of the more common 16" or 24" on center with 2x8s.
There are many things to consider when trying to estimate the cost of a deck. I believe that about $1500 should be sufficient. The cost I came up with was at a home improvement store in Minnesota.
If I could offer some advice, if you are considering building a 15x15 deck, it might be a better idea to replan for a 16x15 deck since most lumber comes in 16 foot peices. That will both save you time since you will not have to cut each board down to size and it will add 15 square feet to your deck without taking up too much more yard space.
Most home improvement stores will have a section where you can pick out deck plans. These plans will give you a list of lumber and the cost.
I hope this will help you!
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING