watering new shrubs
Please, spend a few $$$ and buy a good book. Just make sure you buy one (or read the section) that talks about how to care for your plants in YOUR neck of the woods.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
With the wet weather we've been having recently, you don't need to water them all that much. In fact, if you water them too much, you could do them more harm than good. When I plant shrubs, I'll form a "saucer" on the ground with extra soil, about 2" high, all around the shrub just at the limits of the hole I dug. I'll fill the saucer with water once, let it seep into the ground, and then fill it again. From that point on, I might water it once a day in bright sunny warm weather, but with the rains and drizzle of this week, I'd leave it alone. When the sun comes back out, just watch it. After a couple of days, water them again like before (fill the saucer). But then just watch for signs of stress (leaves folding in or drooping). If the plant seems vigorous, leave it alone. If we run into a couple of weeks of hot sun and no rain, water them once every 2-3 days. That should be fine.
[This message has been edited by treebeard (edited May 14, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight