watering new shrubs
Please, spend a few $$$ and buy a good book. Just make sure you buy one (or read the section) that talks about how to care for your plants in YOUR neck of the woods.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
With the wet weather we've been having recently, you don't need to water them all that much. In fact, if you water them too much, you could do them more harm than good. When I plant shrubs, I'll form a "saucer" on the ground with extra soil, about 2" high, all around the shrub just at the limits of the hole I dug. I'll fill the saucer with water once, let it seep into the ground, and then fill it again. From that point on, I might water it once a day in bright sunny warm weather, but with the rains and drizzle of this week, I'd leave it alone. When the sun comes back out, just watch it. After a couple of days, water them again like before (fill the saucer). But then just watch for signs of stress (leaves folding in or drooping). If the plant seems vigorous, leave it alone. If we run into a couple of weeks of hot sun and no rain, water them once every 2-3 days. That should be fine.
[This message has been edited by treebeard (edited May 14, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes