Building Dept. Shaker Heights,Ohio
-Are sump pump systems allowed?
"yes, although this is not the approach we recommend.It`s NOT waterproofing,its water management........this approach does NOT mold,mildew or fungus which can be associated with health problems......you(they) WILL need a permit to install such a system"
-What if the problem is not related to surface grading and water is leaking through the foundation?
"the preferred method for dealing with damp and leaky basements is to dig around the perimeter of foundation (Outside) all the way down to footing;apply waterproofing materials.....to the outside of foundations wall(s);fill any cracks in foundation.....and fill in with at LEAST 2' of washed gravel above the new tile. Thats waterproofing done right"
its best to backfill from footing/drain tiles all the way up to within several inches of grade -- 6th paragraph http://www.yodergroup.com/concrete.asp
"Many waterproofing companies advertise a free and complete analysis of your wet basement problem.These evaluations are usually conducted by salespeople with minimal technical training, and often the only solution they sell is the drain and sump pump system.It is not a surprise, then, that they arrive at the conclusion that the drain and sump pump system is the best solution for you 99% of the time."
crap...on the hm inspector view. see how, at least some, are affiliated with inspectors
....back to do it yourself link
"another common problem with waterproofing companies,especially in Wash. area, is proce gouging.Several well established firms in this market are believed to conspire to FIX Prices.Allegedly,in some cases, two so called competitors may in fact be two branches of the same operation.Waterproofing is the one home service field in this area where a significant chunk of the market is held by completely unscrupulous firms.Be careful. Don`t let the firm`s size fool you"
Exterior waterproofing with stone foundation and gra...
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING