I thought that any four-wire replacement switch would work for my ceiling fan. The chain broke off inside the original switch, so I went to Home Depot and purchased a new four-wire speed control switch.
I noted that both the old and new switches have identical markings for the wire connections: L, 1, 2, 3. I moved the wires one at a time from the old switch to the new—the wire from the L port on the old one went to the L port on the new and so on. I didn't change anything else. Then I put the whole thing back together and restored power.
I was delighted that the fan came on. I can change the speeds from high to medium to low ... but I can't turn the fan off! All I have are three speeds. To turn the fan off, I must also turn off the light. Did I buy the wrong switch, or is something else going on?
Oops. That old horse done left the barn. I tossed out the old switch immediately. Anyway, the backs of the old and new switches looked identical—same markings. I figured I'd found the right replacement, so I tossed the broken switch. The package gave no hint that I might have the wrong item.
Thank you very much! Now I have their phone number, and I intend to call them. Maybe we can figure this out.
When I tried to change the fan switch; as I was putting the wires in the new switch, the others came out of the new switch, and now I do not know where the four colors go -- orange, black, yellow, purple and where on the switch each color goes---1-2-3--L. HELP! Bernie at [email protected]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects