I thought that any four-wire replacement switch would work for my ceiling fan. The chain broke off inside the original switch, so I went to Home Depot and purchased a new four-wire speed control switch.
I noted that both the old and new switches have identical markings for the wire connections: L, 1, 2, 3. I moved the wires one at a time from the old switch to the new—the wire from the L port on the old one went to the L port on the new and so on. I didn't change anything else. Then I put the whole thing back together and restored power.
I was delighted that the fan came on. I can change the speeds from high to medium to low ... but I can't turn the fan off! All I have are three speeds. To turn the fan off, I must also turn off the light. Did I buy the wrong switch, or is something else going on?
Oops. That old horse done left the barn. I tossed out the old switch immediately. Anyway, the backs of the old and new switches looked identical—same markings. I figured I'd found the right replacement, so I tossed the broken switch. The package gave no hint that I might have the wrong item.
Thank you very much! Now I have their phone number, and I intend to call them. Maybe we can figure this out.
When I tried to change the fan switch; as I was putting the wires in the new switch, the others came out of the new switch, and now I do not know where the four colors go -- orange, black, yellow, purple and where on the switch each color goes---1-2-3--L. HELP! Bernie at [email protected]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees