I thought that any four-wire replacement switch would work for my ceiling fan. The chain broke off inside the original switch, so I went to Home Depot and purchased a new four-wire speed control switch.
I noted that both the old and new switches have identical markings for the wire connections: L, 1, 2, 3. I moved the wires one at a time from the old switch to the new—the wire from the L port on the old one went to the L port on the new and so on. I didn't change anything else. Then I put the whole thing back together and restored power.
I was delighted that the fan came on. I can change the speeds from high to medium to low ... but I can't turn the fan off! All I have are three speeds. To turn the fan off, I must also turn off the light. Did I buy the wrong switch, or is something else going on?
Oops. That old horse done left the barn. I tossed out the old switch immediately. Anyway, the backs of the old and new switches looked identical—same markings. I figured I'd found the right replacement, so I tossed the broken switch. The package gave no hint that I might have the wrong item.
Thank you very much! Now I have their phone number, and I intend to call them. Maybe we can figure this out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps