the house was designed in nj with a ridge vent and soffit vents.
previous owner installed a power attic fan.should i leave the fan on or turn it off and allow the vent system to work?
You should disconnect the attic fan, make sure soffits are clear and open and that the ridge vent is properly installed. The concept is the outdoor air will be drawn into soffit vent into attic and rise up to the rige where it then vents out of the attic , this process is call confection, het rises and draws in the cooler outdoor air from the soffits to replace the hot attic air. The problem with the fan is it will draw in air from the ridge ( mostly) and vent outside, the problem with that is you are now not coolling the lower areas of the roof. Good luck
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects Anyone Can Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 9 "Killer" Ways to Eliminate Weeds
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- Designers Reveal Today's Top 10 Bath Remodeling Trends
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight