the house was designed in nj with a ridge vent and soffit vents.
previous owner installed a power attic fan.should i leave the fan on or turn it off and allow the vent system to work?
You should disconnect the attic fan, make sure soffits are clear and open and that the ridge vent is properly installed. The concept is the outdoor air will be drawn into soffit vent into attic and rise up to the rige where it then vents out of the attic , this process is call confection, het rises and draws in the cooler outdoor air from the soffits to replace the hot attic air. The problem with the fan is it will draw in air from the ridge ( mostly) and vent outside, the problem with that is you are now not coolling the lower areas of the roof. Good luck
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!