Our home fireplace emits a 'smokey / ashes' smell when it rains outside, even though the fireplace itself is dry inside, shows no leakage, and has not had a fire in it for several weeks. The ash trap and fireplace are both clean - no ashes in either, yet it smells of ashes and smoke. My fireplace is a standard home fireplace - house was built in the 70's.
What could be the cause of the smokey / ashes smell?
First, I assume that you keep the damper closed when there is no fire. Second, if you have a glass screen, that should also be closed. There is a lot of information on this topic on the Internet. Do a Google search. One interesting solution is to burn candles in the fireplace to heat the air, causing it to rise and not have downdrafts that carry the smoky smell into the house.
Brick leaks from outside to basement
Leaky roof around skylight
sulphur smell around house.
Desperately need advice. Strange odor in m. bathroom.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!