Our home fireplace emits a 'smokey / ashes' smell when it rains outside, even though the fireplace itself is dry inside, shows no leakage, and has not had a fire in it for several weeks. The ash trap and fireplace are both clean - no ashes in either, yet it smells of ashes and smoke. My fireplace is a standard home fireplace - house was built in the 70's.
What could be the cause of the smokey / ashes smell?
First, I assume that you keep the damper closed when there is no fire. Second, if you have a glass screen, that should also be closed. There is a lot of information on this topic on the Internet. Do a Google search. One interesting solution is to burn candles in the fireplace to heat the air, causing it to rise and not have downdrafts that carry the smoky smell into the house.
Brick leaks from outside to basement
Leaky roof around skylight
sulphur smell around house.
Desperately need advice. Strange odor in m. bathroom.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes