Our home fireplace emits a 'smokey / ashes' smell when it rains outside, even though the fireplace itself is dry inside, shows no leakage, and has not had a fire in it for several weeks. The ash trap and fireplace are both clean - no ashes in either, yet it smells of ashes and smoke. My fireplace is a standard home fireplace - house was built in the 70's.
What could be the cause of the smokey / ashes smell?
First, I assume that you keep the damper closed when there is no fire. Second, if you have a glass screen, that should also be closed. There is a lot of information on this topic on the Internet. Do a Google search. One interesting solution is to burn candles in the fireplace to heat the air, causing it to rise and not have downdrafts that carry the smoky smell into the house.
Brick leaks from outside to basement
Leaky roof around skylight
sulphur smell around house.
Desperately need advice. Strange odor in m. bathroom.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Prefab-ulous: 14 Jaw-Dropping Modern Homes
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Why Are "Natural" Swimming Pools Popular?
- 9 Ways of Adding Moldings to Walls
- 1 Dozen Ways to Make the Most of a Small Yard
- 13 Easy Lanterns to Make for Your Porch or Patio
- 12 Expert Tips for a Fantastic Front Yard