Utility Cost of Electric Stove
Over this summer i'm moving in to an apartment in Santa Barbara that has an electric stove and I am wondering how much more expensive it is to use an electric stove instead of a gas stove.
I would think, it would depend on the useage. Electric ranges operate on 220vac, and are on a 30 amp breaker. Natural gas ranges need no electric, except for spark ignition, and the light in the oven. If they were used at comparibly the same rate, The electric range would cost you more.
The gas range will always be cheaper than electric at todays prices, especially in California where you guys get raped and have the great governor Gray watching out for you. Note the sarcasm. It won't be cheap enough to justify replacing a perfectly good electric range in favor of a gas range. Secondly your apartment may not be plumbed for natural gas.
I have not seen studies on ranges, but the American Gas Association website shows a study where gas water heaters are twice as efficient dollar for dollar than electric.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight