Utility Cost of Electric Stove
Over this summer i'm moving in to an apartment in Santa Barbara that has an electric stove and I am wondering how much more expensive it is to use an electric stove instead of a gas stove.
I would think, it would depend on the useage. Electric ranges operate on 220vac, and are on a 30 amp breaker. Natural gas ranges need no electric, except for spark ignition, and the light in the oven. If they were used at comparibly the same rate, The electric range would cost you more.
The gas range will always be cheaper than electric at todays prices, especially in California where you guys get raped and have the great governor Gray watching out for you. Note the sarcasm. It won't be cheap enough to justify replacing a perfectly good electric range in favor of a gas range. Secondly your apartment may not be plumbed for natural gas.
I have not seen studies on ranges, but the American Gas Association website shows a study where gas water heaters are twice as efficient dollar for dollar than electric.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers