I installed crown moulding in my Lvrm/Dnrm/Kit and foyer between late Aug and Thanksgiving useing 4-in wide Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF). The property is 12-years old and is located in the Wash, DC climatic zone. I filled mitre joints and scarf cuts with DAP brand Plastic Wood (Cellulose Fibre Filler) for interior and exterior application or DAP brand premium caulking. Today, I noticed most of the scarf cut joints and two of the mitred cut joints have opened/separated as if the moldings had been pulled in opposite directions from the joint. We had a clean and tight fit after filling, drying, sanding, priming and three coats of latex enamel. However, each affected joint is now approximately 1/16" wide. The temperature range in the house has been between 65 degrees and 80 degrees.
Someone suggested we use only Glazing Compound to fill joints. Area contractors remarked they only use caulking. We paid little attention to the comments of local builders as quality in the DC area is notorously poor.
We would appreciate your opinion on what we did wrong and what we can do at this time to improve the appearance of the scarf and mitre joints.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers