I installed crown moulding in my Lvrm/Dnrm/Kit and foyer between late Aug and Thanksgiving useing 4-in wide Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF). The property is 12-years old and is located in the Wash, DC climatic zone. I filled mitre joints and scarf cuts with DAP brand Plastic Wood (Cellulose Fibre Filler) for interior and exterior application or DAP brand premium caulking. Today, I noticed most of the scarf cut joints and two of the mitred cut joints have opened/separated as if the moldings had been pulled in opposite directions from the joint. We had a clean and tight fit after filling, drying, sanding, priming and three coats of latex enamel. However, each affected joint is now approximately 1/16" wide. The temperature range in the house has been between 65 degrees and 80 degrees.
Someone suggested we use only Glazing Compound to fill joints. Area contractors remarked they only use caulking. We paid little attention to the comments of local builders as quality in the DC area is notorously poor.
We would appreciate your opinion on what we did wrong and what we can do at this time to improve the appearance of the scarf and mitre joints.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!