I installed crown moulding in my Lvrm/Dnrm/Kit and foyer between late Aug and Thanksgiving useing 4-in wide Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF). The property is 12-years old and is located in the Wash, DC climatic zone. I filled mitre joints and scarf cuts with DAP brand Plastic Wood (Cellulose Fibre Filler) for interior and exterior application or DAP brand premium caulking. Today, I noticed most of the scarf cut joints and two of the mitred cut joints have opened/separated as if the moldings had been pulled in opposite directions from the joint. We had a clean and tight fit after filling, drying, sanding, priming and three coats of latex enamel. However, each affected joint is now approximately 1/16" wide. The temperature range in the house has been between 65 degrees and 80 degrees.
Someone suggested we use only Glazing Compound to fill joints. Area contractors remarked they only use caulking. We paid little attention to the comments of local builders as quality in the DC area is notorously poor.
We would appreciate your opinion on what we did wrong and what we can do at this time to improve the appearance of the scarf and mitre joints.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?