a trick to use in a bath when using square floor tile is to orient the tile so that the seams are at 45 degrees to the walls. this tricks the eye into thinking the room is bigger. I used this approach in a small bath when remodeling it.
NORWEGIANGIRL; any updates? Inquiring minds would like to know! :)
DIMDEM, just a few impartial observations.
1. The layout of the house: Definitely a factor in additions. Additions may be done really well, or really badly -- and, as you suggest, look like, well, additions. It might cost quite a bit more to get a layout you really love. Could also be quite a bit of turmoil to live through.
2. Costs: don't forget the cost of a MOVE ITSELF-- especially realtor fees. It still might be worth looking at other homes--but don't forget this important cost.
3. Decision: Remember that cost is only one consideration. I suggest starting a list of "pros and cons" and see if that helps your decision. The list should contain all factors--not just cost.
4. Oh, yeah, and that neighbor thing. Even a move of a couple blocks could well affect your relationships with your neighbor friends.
5. One of the factors on your "pros and cons list" might just be "adapt to the smaller space." As a culture, we keep buying more stuff, so we need bigger homes to put it all in. It probably would be the cheapest option.
Good luck; please keep us posted!
-k2 in CO
Moderator, Miscellaneous Forum
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects Anyone Can Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 9 "Killer" Ways to Eliminate Weeds
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- Designers Reveal Today's Top 10 Bath Remodeling Trends
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight