a trick to use in a bath when using square floor tile is to orient the tile so that the seams are at 45 degrees to the walls. this tricks the eye into thinking the room is bigger. I used this approach in a small bath when remodeling it.
NORWEGIANGIRL; any updates? Inquiring minds would like to know! :)
DIMDEM, just a few impartial observations.
1. The layout of the house: Definitely a factor in additions. Additions may be done really well, or really badly -- and, as you suggest, look like, well, additions. It might cost quite a bit more to get a layout you really love. Could also be quite a bit of turmoil to live through.
2. Costs: don't forget the cost of a MOVE ITSELF-- especially realtor fees. It still might be worth looking at other homes--but don't forget this important cost.
3. Decision: Remember that cost is only one consideration. I suggest starting a list of "pros and cons" and see if that helps your decision. The list should contain all factors--not just cost.
4. Oh, yeah, and that neighbor thing. Even a move of a couple blocks could well affect your relationships with your neighbor friends.
5. One of the factors on your "pros and cons list" might just be "adapt to the smaller space." As a culture, we keep buying more stuff, so we need bigger homes to put it all in. It probably would be the cheapest option.
Good luck; please keep us posted!
-k2 in CO
Moderator, Miscellaneous Forum
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers