I am looking for books or other resources that provide suggested design options for updating or changing a 1960s ranch style home. Every house in the neighborhood looks exactly the same. I would like to add some paint and architectural components to give the house a unique feel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
My mother is interested in purchasing a ranch but hates the extra little triangle roof over the front door. Has anyone found any affordable (~10K) options for changing the look?
Here's a thought. Throughout the 20th century, Americans trashed recent architecture only to regret it later. The Victorian houses of San Francisco that are so prized today were considered outdated trash by many not too long ago. So many treasures were demolished or remodeled to be something they weren't. Ranch houses are the next style that will become "historic." Usually, a building that is over 50 years old is considered worth preserving. If you are thinking of making your ranch into something it isn't, try celebrating it's "ranchness" instead. Ranches have a wonderful legacy that includes the genius of Frank Lloyd Wright (ex. Jacobs House built in 1936), and Cliff May. The nostalgic 50's & 60's are very important to American history and are encapsulated in the ranch house. A book that might help is Ranch House Style by Katherine Samon. Paint, color, and small details can work wonders. Cheesey "Design On a Dime"-like solutions might leave you disappointed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!