I am looking for books or other resources that provide suggested design options for updating or changing a 1960s ranch style home. Every house in the neighborhood looks exactly the same. I would like to add some paint and architectural components to give the house a unique feel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
My mother is interested in purchasing a ranch but hates the extra little triangle roof over the front door. Has anyone found any affordable (~10K) options for changing the look?
Here's a thought. Throughout the 20th century, Americans trashed recent architecture only to regret it later. The Victorian houses of San Francisco that are so prized today were considered outdated trash by many not too long ago. So many treasures were demolished or remodeled to be something they weren't. Ranch houses are the next style that will become "historic." Usually, a building that is over 50 years old is considered worth preserving. If you are thinking of making your ranch into something it isn't, try celebrating it's "ranchness" instead. Ranches have a wonderful legacy that includes the genius of Frank Lloyd Wright (ex. Jacobs House built in 1936), and Cliff May. The nostalgic 50's & 60's are very important to American history and are encapsulated in the ranch house. A book that might help is Ranch House Style by Katherine Samon. Paint, color, and small details can work wonders. Cheesey "Design On a Dime"-like solutions might leave you disappointed.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects Anyone Can Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 9 "Killer" Ways to Eliminate Weeds
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- Designers Reveal Today's Top 10 Bath Remodeling Trends
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight