Truss lift cracking walls????
There are many possible explanations for what is happening:
- Materials tend to shrink in cold weather
- If you have forced air heat it will dry the wood causing it to shrink unless you are using a humidifier
- Expansion/contraction from temperature changes inside the house
- Foundation settlement or movement
Foundation settlement or movement could be caused by:
- Excessive amounts of water getting under the footing softening the subgrade
- Soil under the footing drying out and shrinking during long dry spells
And many other possibilities too numerous to mention, but I would say the chances of foundation movement are far greater than truss lift unless you live in a very high wind zone or have very large roof overhangs.
The disclosure laws vary from state to state so I would suggest getting some legal advice from an attorney. If the previous owner was unaware of the water problem you may not have a case unless you can prove otherwise. Even a home inspector would not notice this problem unless he found water present during the inspection.
If you need assistance in making any of these repairs, contact me in the ‚ÄúExpert Advice‚Äù section.
[This message has been edited by GlennG (edited February 04, 2003).]
Just a thought?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes