Truss lift cracking walls????
There are many possible explanations for what is happening:
- Materials tend to shrink in cold weather
- If you have forced air heat it will dry the wood causing it to shrink unless you are using a humidifier
- Expansion/contraction from temperature changes inside the house
- Foundation settlement or movement
Foundation settlement or movement could be caused by:
- Excessive amounts of water getting under the footing softening the subgrade
- Soil under the footing drying out and shrinking during long dry spells
And many other possibilities too numerous to mention, but I would say the chances of foundation movement are far greater than truss lift unless you live in a very high wind zone or have very large roof overhangs.
The disclosure laws vary from state to state so I would suggest getting some legal advice from an attorney. If the previous owner was unaware of the water problem you may not have a case unless you can prove otherwise. Even a home inspector would not notice this problem unless he found water present during the inspection.
If you need assistance in making any of these repairs, contact me in the ‚ÄúExpert Advice‚Äù section.
[This message has been edited by GlennG (edited February 04, 2003).]
Just a thought?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!