Truss lift cracking walls????
There are many possible explanations for what is happening:
- Materials tend to shrink in cold weather
- If you have forced air heat it will dry the wood causing it to shrink unless you are using a humidifier
- Expansion/contraction from temperature changes inside the house
- Foundation settlement or movement
Foundation settlement or movement could be caused by:
- Excessive amounts of water getting under the footing softening the subgrade
- Soil under the footing drying out and shrinking during long dry spells
And many other possibilities too numerous to mention, but I would say the chances of foundation movement are far greater than truss lift unless you live in a very high wind zone or have very large roof overhangs.
The disclosure laws vary from state to state so I would suggest getting some legal advice from an attorney. If the previous owner was unaware of the water problem you may not have a case unless you can prove otherwise. Even a home inspector would not notice this problem unless he found water present during the inspection.
If you need assistance in making any of these repairs, contact me in the ‚ÄúExpert Advice‚Äù section.
[This message has been edited by GlennG (edited February 04, 2003).]
Just a thought?
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING