I love a good challenge!
Oak should be white oak - red oak rots too easily.
Don't use use glue. That can lead to checking.
Wood boats don't sink and wooden casks don't leak because when the wood swells from moisture, the pieces compress wood fibres towards one another. To seal wood against root, seal all edges.
I would use a standard base for hookup to plumbing and then build a pallet with drainage through to floor it.
54” x 44” it will make a great sized shower but would have to have a custom shower base. I have drawn up a base from hard wood that uses 4” by 5” rectangle in the middle with the drain hole in it this will be mounted to a 2x3 frame. I have a 2X4 frame on the outside with stringers running from the center drain square up to the out side corners. So the thing will be like an inverted rooftop with very little sloop. I was thinking about coating it with several layers of polyurethane to incase it in a waterproof coating. I was also thinking of impregnating the wood with a good oil before sealing. So will it mold? Will it hold water? I know it will look fantastic in my bathroom. But I also would like to be able to use it.
wood in a shower?
Basement shower woes
Hot water pipe ticks and knocks when shower starts
Hot water line to shower and Aquatherm heating unit ...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes