Getting ready to frame a basement and trying to decide between metal vs wood. Saw a metal stud wall this weekend and it seems very weak. What are the pros and cons?
usually metal studs are used in commercial construction and not for home. The downfall is that you still have to use wood around the door ways, you don't save any money and it is not as easy to work with as wood. but you will have a neat shiny wall underneath all that drywall!
Steel doesn,t burn, termites hate it and it can be worked pretty easy once you use it a little. The resident use is inc. in S.E. The stiffness can increased by shorting O.C. distance. The cost per stick is cheaper, at least around here. I guess the tried blue method dye hard. My only downside is the smell.
I wouldn't use metal studs in a basement, they will telescope through the drywall with moisture & cold transfering from the plates. You'll end up with "shadow" lines of the studs on the walls.
I have a detail my sites forum you can look at for basements fireblocking etc. remember to use treated plates.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 10 Welcoming Front Door Paint Colors
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Simple Projects for Beginning Woodworkers