Getting ready to frame a basement and trying to decide between metal vs wood. Saw a metal stud wall this weekend and it seems very weak. What are the pros and cons?
usually metal studs are used in commercial construction and not for home. The downfall is that you still have to use wood around the door ways, you don't save any money and it is not as easy to work with as wood. but you will have a neat shiny wall underneath all that drywall!
Steel doesn,t burn, termites hate it and it can be worked pretty easy once you use it a little. The resident use is inc. in S.E. The stiffness can increased by shorting O.C. distance. The cost per stick is cheaper, at least around here. I guess the tried blue method dye hard. My only downside is the smell.
I wouldn't use metal studs in a basement, they will telescope through the drywall with moisture & cold transfering from the plates. You'll end up with "shadow" lines of the studs on the walls.
I have a detail my sites forum you can look at for basements fireblocking etc. remember to use treated plates.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps