Getting ready to frame a basement and trying to decide between metal vs wood. Saw a metal stud wall this weekend and it seems very weak. What are the pros and cons?
usually metal studs are used in commercial construction and not for home. The downfall is that you still have to use wood around the door ways, you don't save any money and it is not as easy to work with as wood. but you will have a neat shiny wall underneath all that drywall!
Steel doesn,t burn, termites hate it and it can be worked pretty easy once you use it a little. The resident use is inc. in S.E. The stiffness can increased by shorting O.C. distance. The cost per stick is cheaper, at least around here. I guess the tried blue method dye hard. My only downside is the smell.
I wouldn't use metal studs in a basement, they will telescope through the drywall with moisture & cold transfering from the plates. You'll end up with "shadow" lines of the studs on the walls.
I have a detail my sites forum you can look at for basements fireblocking etc. remember to use treated plates.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?