Getting ready to frame a basement and trying to decide between metal vs wood. Saw a metal stud wall this weekend and it seems very weak. What are the pros and cons?
usually metal studs are used in commercial construction and not for home. The downfall is that you still have to use wood around the door ways, you don't save any money and it is not as easy to work with as wood. but you will have a neat shiny wall underneath all that drywall!
Steel doesn,t burn, termites hate it and it can be worked pretty easy once you use it a little. The resident use is inc. in S.E. The stiffness can increased by shorting O.C. distance. The cost per stick is cheaper, at least around here. I guess the tried blue method dye hard. My only downside is the smell.
I wouldn't use metal studs in a basement, they will telescope through the drywall with moisture & cold transfering from the plates. You'll end up with "shadow" lines of the studs on the walls.
I have a detail my sites forum you can look at for basements fireblocking etc. remember to use treated plates.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- Soundproof Your Home with 11 DIYs
- Set the Tone: 8 Colors for an Inviting Dining Room
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY