I have had a leak in my bathroom which has ruined the floor and the ceiling in a room below it. Everything has been removed and the room is down to the sub-floor. I have created a new design for the bathroom that would enlarge it a bit and make it much more efficent. This would be done by knocking down part of a wall that goes into an unused closet and relocating the toilet into that space. I think the wall is non-bearing, but I am not positive. There are no supports in the basement, and nothing in the attic to suggest that it is.I have contacted a few local builders and carpenters to come and take a look, but I have been told that the job isn't big enough for them to come. I need to get this project completed, so I am thinking about treating the wall as if it were a bearing wall- to be on the safe side. What do I need to do to remove this portion of the wall safely, and create an alcove for the toilet to fit into? (demolition, framing, etc) Also, the plumber that is going to relocate the toilet said that we need to reinforce the beams under the bathroom too. I don't know what to do here either.
If you could provide help with both of these questions, it would be extremely appreciated.
Thank you very much
Bathroom: wainscoat or paneling over tile? Bad idea?
Bathroom counter top
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!