I have had a leak in my bathroom which has ruined the floor and the ceiling in a room below it. Everything has been removed and the room is down to the sub-floor. I have created a new design for the bathroom that would enlarge it a bit and make it much more efficent. This would be done by knocking down part of a wall that goes into an unused closet and relocating the toilet into that space. I think the wall is non-bearing, but I am not positive. There are no supports in the basement, and nothing in the attic to suggest that it is.I have contacted a few local builders and carpenters to come and take a look, but I have been told that the job isn't big enough for them to come. I need to get this project completed, so I am thinking about treating the wall as if it were a bearing wall- to be on the safe side. What do I need to do to remove this portion of the wall safely, and create an alcove for the toilet to fit into? (demolition, framing, etc) Also, the plumber that is going to relocate the toilet said that we need to reinforce the beams under the bathroom too. I don't know what to do here either.
If you could provide help with both of these questions, it would be extremely appreciated.
Thank you very much
Bathroom: wainscoat or paneling over tile? Bad idea?
Sealing oak backsplash in the bathroom
bathroom flooring question
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes