I had my plumber change my disposal on my double sink from one side to the other. He hooked the air gap to the sink drain pipe of the non-disposal side instead of the disposal itself (he says that hooking it to the disposal can ruin the disposal?). When I run the dishwasher, the air gap flows at least four times and water flows into the sink, as well as under the sink. I live in a very rural area, but have a very advanced septic system, so he's saying I don't really need the air gap. His solution is to unhook the air gap (not code required in my area). Questions from an unfortunate "non-do-it-yourselfer":
- Is he correct in saying that it's not needed?
- Is he correct in hooking it to a drain pipe instead of the disposal?
- Is he correct in saying that it could effect the disposal in the long run?
- If I have him hook it to the disposal and run the disposal before using the dishwasher, will this fix the flood under my sink? Can I do this myself? If so, can someone explain "plumbing 101"?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes