I had my floor refinished last week with 3 coats of oil based poly. once dry, the floors has all little blisters and a prickly feeling on the floor. It was suggested by my floor guy to buff down the floors again and put a fourth coat on them as a fix.. They look worse. He wants to fix them again by buffing down and applying a water based poly on top of the oil to removes the bumps.. I have been told you should not apply water based poly on oiled floor.. please help i need to make a decision soon.. Thanks
Either the floor was not dry before the successive coats were applied or the floor was not properly vacuumed and cleaned after sanding. Either way,the floors need to be redone and the responsibility is with the finisher. The tackiness is a result of the finish being applied too thickly ,the prior floor finish not being completely removed (doubt it)and lastly, applying finish over still wet finish.
There also could have been wax on the floors that was not removed when they were sanded and that will cause the finish to remain tacky and blister or bubble. The floors need to sanded again and wiped with a solvent to remove the wax and finisd applied again. Putting more finish on the floors will just make them look worse as you have found out.
staining new windows
Oil Based Paint On Carpet
kitchen cabinet finishing (new wood)
Can I match the stain from old red oak to new red oa...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight