Old house, vintage bathroom - probably 1940s-era sink. It had a drip from faucet that turned into a steady leak. I took apart the handles and stems (which slide horizontally into the sink face), and found that the stems were bent, the washers shot, and the seats hollowed out. I bought new stems, handles, seats, and washers, but I couldn't get the old seats out. (I used a tapper jammed in there pretty good and tried it with a socket wrench, not to mention other tools, but it wouldn't give). So I finally figured out that if I just stuck in a larger washer, the contraption worked. No more drip.
For about two weeks. Then all of a sudden, the water pressure coming out of the sink was nil. Didn't affect the toilet or shower. And weirdly, it started to improve over the next week or two until the water pressure was almost bearable. And then today it was back to a trickle.
I'm OK if the advice is to trash this old thing. I also got some advice to look at the aerator, though I'm not sure where to look on this sink. If there's an easy fix, please let me know.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes