Old house, vintage bathroom - probably 1940s-era sink. It had a drip from faucet that turned into a steady leak. I took apart the handles and stems (which slide horizontally into the sink face), and found that the stems were bent, the washers shot, and the seats hollowed out. I bought new stems, handles, seats, and washers, but I couldn't get the old seats out. (I used a tapper jammed in there pretty good and tried it with a socket wrench, not to mention other tools, but it wouldn't give). So I finally figured out that if I just stuck in a larger washer, the contraption worked. No more drip.
For about two weeks. Then all of a sudden, the water pressure coming out of the sink was nil. Didn't affect the toilet or shower. And weirdly, it started to improve over the next week or two until the water pressure was almost bearable. And then today it was back to a trickle.
I'm OK if the advice is to trash this old thing. I also got some advice to look at the aerator, though I'm not sure where to look on this sink. If there's an easy fix, please let me know.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!