I'm making plans to contract significant repairs and renovations to my 1927 Sears Craftsman house, which was last updated in the 1960s. I can only afford to do it in stages, over five years or so, so is there a sensible order in which to tackle the major systems? Some of the projects will be: updated electrical; 2nd story bathroom (only one bath now, on main floor (there's no plumbing except radiators on 2nd story); new boiler or maybe central heat/air; plaster repair; insulation; new shed dormer roof; new kitchen cabinets and countertops; and refinished floor.
I guess I need to get to the dormer roof first, and I'd like to put in the 2nd story bath next.
But does tackling the 2nd story bath open a can of worms? Such as being forced to address whole house plumbing and electrical if these systems are too outdated and worn? Kind of like you can't fix a portion of something that's broken, you have to fix the entire system.
How hard is it to install central heat/ac in an old house with plaster walls? Will the plaster be destroyed throughout?
Is it a good idea for me to walk through my entire house with an independent appraiser to identify potential problems up front?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?