My parent have an electric heat pump furnace and when the heat kicks on an awful smell occurs for a while. It does not do it while the heat pump is blowing just when the heat is blowing. My father has called the furnace manufacture and they know nothing so he asked me to go to the internet. Does anyone have any idea it has been doing it for two or three years now he furnace is only five years old if that. No one can find that cause.Thank goodness it has been a warm winter in Tennessee this year. It really ranks!! Any ideas?
Your problem maybe that there is dirt on the heating element(s). When it gets to cold to use the compressor for heat, the unit uses electric heating elements as a back-up heat source. Maybe something has died, like a mouse and is in the unit. Hope this helps.
More than likely it's from built-up dust and dirt in the furnace or the ductwork getting hot.. my system does the same thing when it hasn't been used in a while. The smell usually goes away after a few minutes and after a few times it doesn't happen anymore as things get blown out or burned away. Unless it smells like, someone said, a somethign dead and it doesn't go away, then I would have it checked further too.
Old expandable foam shrank in walls now all the wall...
is a closet necessary for an attic furnace with spra...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs