Are you referring to a chimney for a fireplace or a heating system? The signs would be loose and crumbling clay liner on the interior of the chimney. There wouldn't necessarily be visible clues from the exterior.
Did the sweep tell you he was sure the chimney would need relining even BEFORE looking at it? Did he see any evidence from the ground that the claimed to be a problem?
Would you have any idea what you were looking at?, probably not, which is what these scam artists rely on.
Alfred hit a few points, fireplace or furnace? Clay or metal?
Newer furnaces produce exhaust that is cooler,which has a tendency to give up the moisture in it before exiting the house.This moisture is acidic(byproduct of combustion) and will eat at the morter on clay stacks.This is a problem in chimineys on the outside of houses,generaly not a stack that runs in the middle of the house(insullated from cold air).
Fireplace, do you have "sandy" material directly below the chiminey?
I would call a trusted/recommemded heating and air company,possibly two if the work needed is extensive, to inspect the problem
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps