I am currently shopping for a new oil burning Heating and hot water system. I have narrowed it down to the system 2000, Buderus G215-3 with the LT indirect water heater, and the Viessman systems. I would like some opinions on which is the better system. I live in NY. I have baseboard heat. Which is more efficient? expensive? Pros & Cons of each system.
Thanks for your help
A cast iron boiler is prone to cracks if the return water is too cold and after burner shuts off the heated cast can continue to heat boiler water and thus more btus can be lost up the flue. In my opinion a steel boiler is a better choice . Don't fall for the line that cast iron holds the heat , that is what the boiler water is for. Steel boiler are more tolerant to boiler water temperature swings . When purchasing a new boiler condensing can be more efficient if the system emitters will deliver return water temperatures below the condensing temperature if not they will not operate in the advertised efficiency range. Outdoor reset control such as Tekmar are a must as for every 3 degrees f the system water temperature is lowered there is a 3% fuel savings and more comfort from heating system. Make sure the boiler is not over sized as this causes burner cycling which is very hard on fuel. A perfectly sizes boiler is one that on the coldest day of the year the burner does not shut off for the 24 hrs and thus puts in the same number of btus that the building is losing and the temperature stays as wanted . This is probably never achieved but it serves to show what a good installer will try to achieve . I have usually found that you can not buy a boiler that is small enough .
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes