On second thought, an electrician probably knows where to get them himself.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited June 13, 2002).]
Indeed, I suspect that even most hotels cannot even use them due to the risk that someone will inadvertantly plug an 110v appliance into them when the outlet (or a plug in the outlet) is switched to 220 volts. (The plugs do have different shapes to prevent it from happening, but it is still possible). I have only seen the multi-voltage outlets in Europe where the voltage gets steeped down for American appliances or (in Britain) for shavers (many electric shavers in Britain run on 110v due to the customary proximity to water, so they have U.S.-style plug outlets near the bathroom mirror). It would be more dangerous to have multi-voltage outlets in a country like ours where the voltage could be stepped up accidentally.
If you still really, really want one because you frequently have foreign visitors, you would best look for hotel suppliers in a foreign country such as Great Britain (or wherever your frequent foreign visitors come from). If so, you would also need to specially wire those outlets all the way from the breaker to the outlet. It is not just a matter of hooking them up to the existing wiring. It is a big deal, not just a easy and nifty alternative.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited June 17, 2002).]
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight