Removing OLD Original Paper or Paint Over?
Remove the wallpaper for the best job. Use a "Paper tiger" to gently perforate the wallpaper, then soak the wallpaper with a DIF solution. The instructions are all on the DIF and Paper Tiger packages.
Usually, when you pull wallpaper off without soaking it, you only pull a top layer of the paper off, not all of the paper.
Be careful to not scrape the cardboard surface of the drywall when you remove the paper. Soak it, soak, it, soak it, and re-soak it. It should eventually peel off, not need to be scraped off at all. Then sponge the residual glue off with DIF, as well.
On the note of damaging drywall Alise, you really don't have a choice there because if the surface wasn't primed & sized, the game is pretty much over. You need to remove all paper & adhesive, and in doing that, the best advice that you can be given is to take your time when removing large chunks. You'll be less likely to do more damage if you take your time.
Ultimately though Elise, the bare truth is that you will be having to repair some drywall if the wall wasn't prep-ed correctly. Usually all that is involved is that you'll "skim-coat" or fill in the voids in drywall with lightweight joint compound. You'll find the instructions right on the container, but simply stated, you do the skim-coat and let it dry. Then sand to a smooth consistent surface, clear the dust and prime. Then you're ready for paint.
wall paper over wall paper or paint over wall paper
Paint over wall paper
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees