Removing OLD Original Paper or Paint Over?
Remove the wallpaper for the best job. Use a "Paper tiger" to gently perforate the wallpaper, then soak the wallpaper with a DIF solution. The instructions are all on the DIF and Paper Tiger packages.
Usually, when you pull wallpaper off without soaking it, you only pull a top layer of the paper off, not all of the paper.
Be careful to not scrape the cardboard surface of the drywall when you remove the paper. Soak it, soak, it, soak it, and re-soak it. It should eventually peel off, not need to be scraped off at all. Then sponge the residual glue off with DIF, as well.
On the note of damaging drywall Alise, you really don't have a choice there because if the surface wasn't primed & sized, the game is pretty much over. You need to remove all paper & adhesive, and in doing that, the best advice that you can be given is to take your time when removing large chunks. You'll be less likely to do more damage if you take your time.
Ultimately though Elise, the bare truth is that you will be having to repair some drywall if the wall wasn't prep-ed correctly. Usually all that is involved is that you'll "skim-coat" or fill in the voids in drywall with lightweight joint compound. You'll find the instructions right on the container, but simply stated, you do the skim-coat and let it dry. Then sand to a smooth consistent surface, clear the dust and prime. Then you're ready for paint.
wall paper over wall paper or paint over wall paper
Paint over wall paper
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!