I recently was helping a friend remove wallpaper from one of the rooms in his house when we discovered that the paint that had been applied over the wallboard was sticking to the back of the wall paper in some places, in other places it stuck to the wallboard. It does not look like the wall was primed properly. We tried using the paper tiger with DIF to no avail. At this point, the wall is a mess. There are some areas with paint and wallpaper backing on them (a huge mess), others where it is just wallboard Any ideas on what we should do? I called Home Depot who said it probably would be best to seal this wall and use a texturized faux finish, and then paint over the rest of the wall paper, but I have heard nothing but bad news with regard to that senario....HELLLLLLLLPPPP.....
My House has the same problem. I actually found that the wall paper comes off easier with out using any remover. I does tear some of the paper on the dry wall but not nearly as bad as when we used DIF. Once all the paper is off you can skim a little of drywall mud over the walls to help smooth them out or texture the walls. I hope that helps.
you can use an oil based primer over the wallpaper that is securely bonded to the wall board. You can texture over the sealed paper. The only bad thing that can happen from this is if the wallpaper is not bonded in some places-- the weight of the texture will eventually pull it off. Peel as much off as you can, make sure all that is left is bonded paper-- seal it and apply texture, you should be fine. We do this in many jobs when we encounter problems such as yours
The contractors that I deal with when they are trying to remove wallpaper and it starts to tear the face paper off the drywall they stop and repair that area. Then you prime the rest of the paper(if it is tight) with an oil based primer and then use the finish paint of your choice. I have seen paper done this way stay on the wall for 20+ years.
asbestos under old wallpaper?
Will a palm sander remove remaining wallpaper?
Preping walls after removing wallpaper
Proper prep of skim-coat before painting, post-wallp...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes