Vent installation on steel roof
To avoid leaking vents, just install a full-length ridge vent, or as much as you can. Zero leaks.
Another tip to help lower your cooling bills, coat the metal white with a good quality elastomeric product.
www.supertherm.net & www.icc-astec.com come to mind.
Good luck with your new roof.
Next, most types of metal roofing are designed for installation over solid decking or existing shingles (with new underlayment). If you install strapping first, make sure that the roof panels you're installing are appropriate for that type of application. Don't mess around -- contact the roofing manufacturer and inquire with them.
Next, with a pyramid style roof, you will need to use standard square static vents. Again, inquire with your roofing manufacturer for proper flashing methods.
The vents you're installing are there to allow unwanted heat and excessive moisture out of the attic. Your metal roof is not "putting" these things in there though. The need for ventilation is the same no mater what type of roof you're installing. As we do things to make homes tighter, we must increase ventilation.
Finally, these vents are for "exhaust" ... to function properly, you also need "intake" -- normally soffit vents.
Contact me if you have further questions.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes