Vent installation on steel roof
To avoid leaking vents, just install a full-length ridge vent, or as much as you can. Zero leaks.
Another tip to help lower your cooling bills, coat the metal white with a good quality elastomeric product.
www.supertherm.net & www.icc-astec.com come to mind.
Good luck with your new roof.
Next, most types of metal roofing are designed for installation over solid decking or existing shingles (with new underlayment). If you install strapping first, make sure that the roof panels you're installing are appropriate for that type of application. Don't mess around -- contact the roofing manufacturer and inquire with them.
Next, with a pyramid style roof, you will need to use standard square static vents. Again, inquire with your roofing manufacturer for proper flashing methods.
The vents you're installing are there to allow unwanted heat and excessive moisture out of the attic. Your metal roof is not "putting" these things in there though. The need for ventilation is the same no mater what type of roof you're installing. As we do things to make homes tighter, we must increase ventilation.
Finally, these vents are for "exhaust" ... to function properly, you also need "intake" -- normally soffit vents.
Contact me if you have further questions.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love