We have moved into a new home. All the walls and ceilings are "orange peel" finished. We want to paint both walls and ceilings. If we paint ceilings first, what is the best method to mask it off when painting the walls? If we use painter's tape, how long must the ceiling paint be allowed to dry before we put tape on it? Is there any other tape recommended other then 3M blue painters tape?
Thank you, for your help.
You want to use the 3M safe release #2080 tape for this. I would wait at least 4 to 5 days to be safe.
Regardless of whether you are using tape or not -- always do the ceiling first and let it dry for at least 24 hours. You won't find many painters who will do that -- trying to fit too much into a day, but it's the best approach. I would wait several days before using the blue tape. Take it off right after painting and pull from close to the wall -- don't grab a long piece of tape and pull...you guessed it... paint comes off that way!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!