We have moved into a new home. All the walls and ceilings are "orange peel" finished. We want to paint both walls and ceilings. If we paint ceilings first, what is the best method to mask it off when painting the walls? If we use painter's tape, how long must the ceiling paint be allowed to dry before we put tape on it? Is there any other tape recommended other then 3M blue painters tape?
Thank you, for your help.
You want to use the 3M safe release #2080 tape for this. I would wait at least 4 to 5 days to be safe.
Regardless of whether you are using tape or not -- always do the ceiling first and let it dry for at least 24 hours. You won't find many painters who will do that -- trying to fit too much into a day, but it's the best approach. I would wait several days before using the blue tape. Take it off right after painting and pull from close to the wall -- don't grab a long piece of tape and pull...you guessed it... paint comes off that way!
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING