What to do about nails in hardwood floor
I wouldn't pull the nails out. Actually, I'd pound them in a little further w/a Nail Set. You only need to do it about 1/8th - 1/4th of an inch. After you've refinished the floor (but BEFORE you've polyed), I'd fill them w/putty. Try and find a putty that matches. If you can't, get a color that's a LITTLE lighter than the floor stain you used, and roll the putty in between your fingers w/some of the stain on it. This will 'darken' the putty for you a little. Mix it good between your fingers. Be SURE to keep a stir-stick in the can because the solids will settle out VERY quickly. In fact, every time you want to 'dip' into the can, go ahead and stir it.
As for the nails - Yes, I believe the previous owner was trying to stop the squeeks. This is why I'd leave them in. YOU will notice the 'puttied holes' more than anyone. In fact, you'll have to LOOK for them. This is why you do as I suggested w/the putty and your stain. Again, do this AFTER you've stained but BEFORE you've polyed. AFTER the putty hardens, sand lightly, and I mean LIGHTLY!!! Try and just get the putty in the hole. You really don't want to go sanding the 'finished/stained' floor.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
Concerned about asbestos in the mastic on our floor
Pouring new basement floor?
really old wood floor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes