Ok, what is the consensus about this installation debate?
Contractor: Lay the laminate down and place all cabinets and appliances on top.
Me (home owner): Install all cabinets and appliances before the laminate installation.
I am arguing that the weight of the cabinets (and corian counters) will not allow the Pergo to "float" appropriately and may cause buckling at the joints.
The contractor thinks that the 1/4" gap along the walls (opposite the cabinets) will be enough to allow for appropriate expansion.
The kitchen is basically a rectangle. Cabinets in U shape with on side along one of the short walls and the other side forming a peninsula in the middle of the kitchen. In the middle of the U is an island.
I have not read the Pergo installation guidelines yet, but I plan on doing that this weekend.
Anyone have some experience or opinions they can share?
Absolutely do NOT install flooring before cabinets. Refrigerator, stove, etc. is fine. But, if you install cabinets , you WILL have problems, and it is not within manufacturers specs. I've been selling pergo since it was introduced in the U.S. and work with a master certified installer on a daily basis for the last 10 years. Please, install your cabinets first
Pergo over particle board subfloor
Need Advice!!! Hard Wood vs. Laminate
Need Discontinued Pergo Presto Cherry Plank # PH 4584
pergo laminate #042909
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects