Ok, what is the consensus about this installation debate?
Contractor: Lay the laminate down and place all cabinets and appliances on top.
Me (home owner): Install all cabinets and appliances before the laminate installation.
I am arguing that the weight of the cabinets (and corian counters) will not allow the Pergo to "float" appropriately and may cause buckling at the joints.
The contractor thinks that the 1/4" gap along the walls (opposite the cabinets) will be enough to allow for appropriate expansion.
The kitchen is basically a rectangle. Cabinets in U shape with on side along one of the short walls and the other side forming a peninsula in the middle of the kitchen. In the middle of the U is an island.
I have not read the Pergo installation guidelines yet, but I plan on doing that this weekend.
Anyone have some experience or opinions they can share?
Absolutely do NOT install flooring before cabinets. Refrigerator, stove, etc. is fine. But, if you install cabinets , you WILL have problems, and it is not within manufacturers specs. I've been selling pergo since it was introduced in the U.S. and work with a master certified installer on a daily basis for the last 10 years. Please, install your cabinets first
Pergo over particle board subfloor
Need Advice!!! Hard Wood vs. Laminate
Need Discontinued Pergo Presto Cherry Plank # PH 4584
pergo laminate #042909
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers