Ok, what is the consensus about this installation debate?
Contractor: Lay the laminate down and place all cabinets and appliances on top.
Me (home owner): Install all cabinets and appliances before the laminate installation.
I am arguing that the weight of the cabinets (and corian counters) will not allow the Pergo to "float" appropriately and may cause buckling at the joints.
The contractor thinks that the 1/4" gap along the walls (opposite the cabinets) will be enough to allow for appropriate expansion.
The kitchen is basically a rectangle. Cabinets in U shape with on side along one of the short walls and the other side forming a peninsula in the middle of the kitchen. In the middle of the U is an island.
I have not read the Pergo installation guidelines yet, but I plan on doing that this weekend.
Anyone have some experience or opinions they can share?
Absolutely do NOT install flooring before cabinets. Refrigerator, stove, etc. is fine. But, if you install cabinets , you WILL have problems, and it is not within manufacturers specs. I've been selling pergo since it was introduced in the U.S. and work with a master certified installer on a daily basis for the last 10 years. Please, install your cabinets first
Pergo over particle board subfloor
Need Advice!!! Hard Wood vs. Laminate
Need Discontinued Pergo Presto Cherry Plank # PH 4584
pergo laminate #042909
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs