Ok, what is the consensus about this installation debate?
Contractor: Lay the laminate down and place all cabinets and appliances on top.
Me (home owner): Install all cabinets and appliances before the laminate installation.
I am arguing that the weight of the cabinets (and corian counters) will not allow the Pergo to "float" appropriately and may cause buckling at the joints.
The contractor thinks that the 1/4" gap along the walls (opposite the cabinets) will be enough to allow for appropriate expansion.
The kitchen is basically a rectangle. Cabinets in U shape with on side along one of the short walls and the other side forming a peninsula in the middle of the kitchen. In the middle of the U is an island.
I have not read the Pergo installation guidelines yet, but I plan on doing that this weekend.
Anyone have some experience or opinions they can share?
Absolutely do NOT install flooring before cabinets. Refrigerator, stove, etc. is fine. But, if you install cabinets , you WILL have problems, and it is not within manufacturers specs. I've been selling pergo since it was introduced in the U.S. and work with a master certified installer on a daily basis for the last 10 years. Please, install your cabinets first
Pergo over particle board subfloor
Need Advice!!! Hard Wood vs. Laminate
Need Discontinued Pergo Presto Cherry Plank # PH 4584
pergo laminate #042909
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs