We're planning on putting down some of Costco's Harmonics laminate over an existing vinyl floor. I've gone over the floor with a 3' level and there are a number of "ridges" in various places where the floor is definitely un-level more than allowed. How do I deal with this? If I cut out sections of the vinyl in these areas, would that do the trick?
OK, well, here's the situation-- I did cut out a piece of the vinyl and it looks like it will be enough to flatten out the high spot (though I think I will also put a few screws in). But do I now need to smooth over the edges and the old adhesive with floor compound or something so it's a smooth area? Or will the underlayment take care of that?
Underlayment should be able to soak up the thickness of the old vinyl. Since we don't know what underlayment you are using, you can do a quick experiment. Just unroll your underlayment over the affected area and lay some floor down. If flex is not excessive, pick it up and start laying out the floor. If you notice a gap, go to plan B to feather out the depth. You can practice laying floor (I assume it snaps together and comes apart) anywhere you have similar doubts.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes