We're planning on putting down some of Costco's Harmonics laminate over an existing vinyl floor. I've gone over the floor with a 3' level and there are a number of "ridges" in various places where the floor is definitely un-level more than allowed. How do I deal with this? If I cut out sections of the vinyl in these areas, would that do the trick?
OK, well, here's the situation-- I did cut out a piece of the vinyl and it looks like it will be enough to flatten out the high spot (though I think I will also put a few screws in). But do I now need to smooth over the edges and the old adhesive with floor compound or something so it's a smooth area? Or will the underlayment take care of that?
Underlayment should be able to soak up the thickness of the old vinyl. Since we don't know what underlayment you are using, you can do a quick experiment. Just unroll your underlayment over the affected area and lay some floor down. If flex is not excessive, pick it up and start laying out the floor. If you notice a gap, go to plan B to feather out the depth. You can practice laying floor (I assume it snaps together and comes apart) anywhere you have similar doubts.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight