Regardless of the season, there are few things more refreshing and relaxing than enjoying the outdoor space of your backyard, deck, or patio. Key to this pleasure are quality, comfortable patio chairs that help create an inviting area for morning coffee, casual meals, and small get-togethers with family and friends.
Patio chairs come in several different types, materials, designs, and color patterns, so keep these factors and features in mind when shopping for outdoor chairs that will truly suit your lifestyle and setting. Consider the best patio chairs ahead to get a better idea of what’s on the market today in a host of popular categories.
- BEST OVERALL: Pamapic 5-Piece Wicker Patio Seats With Ottomans
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Devoko 3-Piece Wicker Patio Furniture Set
- BEST LOUNGE: Lokatse Home 3-Piece Metal Chaise Lounge Set
- BEST ADIRONDACK: Polywood Classic Folding Adirondack Chair
- BEST ZERO-GRAVITY: Best Choice Products Set of 2 Zero-Gravity Chairs
- BEST DINING: Titimo 5-Piece Cast-Aluminum Outdoor Dining Set
- BEST ROCKING: Adams USA Big Easy Stacking Rocking Chair
- BEST FOR WEATHER: Keter Rio 3-Piece Patio Seating Set
- BEST WEIGHT CAPACITY: Highwood Lehigh Garden Chair
How We Chose the Best Patio Chairs
The best patio chairs can last upwards of a decade, which means it’s important to find a comfortable, high-quality, and nice-looking option—it should be around for a while! The top patio chairs share the same traits as the best outdoor furniture, and we judged them on similar criteria. We chose chairs that are highly rated for comfort. The picks on our list are also made of durable materials that are easy to clean and are weather- and fade-resistant.
Since patio chairs can span a wide range of seating styles, we included several options for outfitting a porch or garden, from outdoor dining chairs to cozy lawn chairs. To suit different decor preferences, we also made sure the patio chairs in our lineup are attractive, with aesthetically pleasing choices to suit a range of tastes.
Our Top Picks
We selected these top outdoor chair products based on type, material, comfortable design, overall look, and other critical shopping factors. It’s likely that shoppers will find one of the following patio chairs to be a great option for enjoying the serenity of the outdoors.
This patio furniture set from Pamapic includes two club chairs with soft sponge-padded cushions to sit on plus a pair of back pillows, with one for each chair. The frames are made of sturdy metal that is wrapped in plastic polyethylene rattan wicker to create a strong seat. Plastic wicker is waterproof and effective at protecting the frame.
The set also includes a side table and a pair of ottomans (footrests) that also have sponge-padded cushions to support the feet and legs. The coffee table has a shelf at the bottom and a tabletop with a plastic resin wicker coating. The chairs measure 27.95 inches wide by 26.28 inches deep by 29.53 inches tall, allowing the ottomans, which measure 23.82 inches wide by 21.46 inches deep by 11.02 inches tall, to slide naturally underneath the chairs for safe storage.
- Type: Club chair
- Material: Metal and polyethylene rattan
- Accessories included: 2 pillows, 2 ottomans, and a side table
- Full patio set includes 2 chairs, 2 ottomans, cushions, and a small coffee table
- The space-saving ottomans fit underneath the chairs for simplified storage
- Comes with tools for assembly and is easy to put together
- Some reviewers found the table to be a bit wobbly
Get the Pamapic patio chair at Amazon, The Home Depot, or Overstock.
Creating a nice place to sit on the patio needn’t break the bank with this affordable quality three-piece set of Devoko patio furniture. The two club chairs have comfortable sponge-padded cushions that are about 2 inches thick. The cushion covers can be easily removed for cleaning, helping ensure that the chairs look great for years.
The club chairs have a durable steel frame and plastic polyethylene wicker that helps to protect them from water. Each chair measures 21.5 inches long by 19.5 inches wide by 33.5 inches tall and can hold up to 330 pounds. The set also includes a small side table with a tempered-glass top that measures 15.75 inches long by 15.75 inches wide by 17.75 inches tall.
- Type: Club chair
- Material: Steel and polyethylene rattan
- Accessories included: Cushions and a side table
- Great value: Includes 2 chairs (with cushions) and a side table for an economical price
- Side table has a tempered-glass tabletop that’s easy to clean
- Sturdy chairs with a relatively high weight capacity of 330 pounds each
- Some reviewers note the set was difficult to assemble
Get the Devoko patio chairs at Amazon or Devoko.
Soaking up the sun is a pure pleasure with the Lokatse Home lounge chairs, which can recline into a completely flat position ideal for afternoon naps. The set includes two lounge chairs and a glass-top side table, each featuring a durable powder-coated steel frame. The chairs have ultraviolet (UV)-resistant textilene fabric, a synthetic made to be flexible and breathable. The table has a strong, tempered-glass surface.
The lounge chairs can lock securely in several angle positions between seated and flat, allowing the backrest to be customized to the user’s preference. The chairs measure 63.4 inches long by 25.6 inches wide by 39 inches tall and the table is 18.3 inches long by 18.3 inches wide by 18 inches tall—just enough space for a couple of beverages or a casual alfresco lunch.
- Type: Lounge chair
- Material: Steel and Textilene fabric
- Accessories included: Side table
- Chairs feature an adjustable recline from fully flat to a light seated recline
- Textilene fabric surface is comfortable and breathable; ideal for days in the sun
- Water-, weather-, and UV-resistant materials hold up nicely to poolside use
- Water can pool on the seats due to fabric weave
Get the Lokatse Home patio chairs at Amazon.
This Polywood chair provides the look and feel of real wood but has a more durable recycled-plastic build. It’s made of the brand’s proprietary Polywood lumber, which is a blend of materials that includes recycled plastics. Not only is this chair very low maintenance, but it’s resistant to weather and sun with UV inhibitors and stabilizers built into the pigments that prevent fading. This hardy patio piece is built to withstand a range of climates including hot sun, snowy winters, and strong coastal winds.
One of the best features of this chair is the foldability. When folded, it’s easier to store, move around the yard, or take on a camping trip. The classic folding Adirondack chair comes in 13 colors to complement patio decor.
- Type: Adirondack chair
- Material: Polywood lumber
- Accessories included: None
- Classic Adirondack chair styling, without the maintenance needs of wood
- Folding design makes for easier transportation and storage
- Teak color mimics a wood look, but a range of other neutral and bold colors are available
- Some users found the straight backrest uncomfortable
Get the Polywood patio chair at Amazon, The Home Depot, Wayfair, or Polywood.
Zero-gravity chairs, like this set of two Best Choice Products patio chairs, are a great option for relieving sore muscles and correcting poor posture. The chairs are lightweight and foldable, allowing them to be packed into a vehicle, stored for the winter, or just moved around the patio. Each chair is capable of holding up to 250 pounds, and they feature a removable utility tray with two cup holders, a phone holder, and a tablet holder.
The unique design of the gravity chairs allows them to open smoothly, lifting the legs and extending the back into an ergonomic position that relieves tension throughout the body, creating a relaxed “zero-gravity” feeling. The chair’s fabric is flexible UV-resistant Textilene, and there’s a removable padded headrest for additional comfort.
- Type: Zero-gravity chair
- Material: Steel and Textilene fabric
- Accessories included: None
- The chair’s design creates a relaxing “zero-gravity” experience when reclined
- Elastic cord construction and Textilene fabric make for strength and comfort; padded removable pillow also included
- Removable built-in dual cup holder and tray offers extra convenience for lounging
- Chairs are on the shorter side, so they’re not ideal for tall users
Get the Best Choice Products patio chairs at Amazon, The Home Depot, Target, or Best Choice Products.
Typical patio chairs are used for relaxation, reading, sunbathing, and comfort, but patio dining chairs are designed to provide an organized, ergonomic place to sit while enjoying a meal outdoors. This set comes with a square dining table and four dining chairs, each made with durable cast aluminum and molded into attractive blooming flower designs.
The sturdy rust-resistant furniture comes with four comfortable seat cushions. The table measures 35.4 inches long by 35.4 inches wide by 29.5 inches tall and each chair is 25.6 inches long by 26.6 inches wide by 35.8 inches tall, with a maximum weight capacity of 350 pounds. To stay out of the direct sunlight and gain cover from the rain, add an umbrella with the built-in 2.2-inch diameter umbrella hole in the center of the dining table.
- Type: Dining chair
- Material: Cast aluminum
- Accessories included: Seat cushions and dining table
- Comfortable and sturdy chairs with a relatively high weight capacity of 350 pounds
- Attractive decorative details on the surface of chairs and table
- Cast-aluminum construction is rust-resistant and suitable for all weather conditions
- Table includes a central hole for placing a patio umbrella
- Chairs are not stackable or foldable, so they aren’t very storage-friendly
Get the Titimo patio chairs at Amazon.
A rocking motion can add another layer of relaxation to hanging out on the porch. The Big Easy Plastic rocking chair offers that gentle movement and—important for outdoor furniture—it’s made of rugged weather-, fade-, and rot-resistant polypropylene instead of wood, which can be a pain to maintain.
The lightweight resin material is shaped into a contoured design to resemble a traditional rocking chair with a curved seat and back support. Measuring 36.9 inches long by 29.62 inches wide by 41 inches tall and with a weight capacity of 350 pounds, this smooth rocker is suitable for most users. Another great feature: This rocking chair is stackable, making it simple to store multiples when not in use.
- Type: Rocking chair
- Material: Polypropylene resin
- Accessories included: None
- Classic rocking chair design, but made of polypropylene instead of wood for simplified maintenance
- A wide curved seat and gentle back support add to comfort
- Lightweight build and stackable design make for simple, convenient storage
- Does not capture the elegance of a wood rocking chair; quite plasticky looking
Get the Adams USA patio chair at Ace Hardware, The Home Depot, or Adams Manufacturing.
For patios and decks that get battered by weather, an all-weather outdoor chair is a must. The Keter Rio 3-piece patio seating set is our top pick for its durability. This seating set can withstand all types of conditions with its weatherproof build. Made of a steel frame covered with a polypropylene resin rattan, these are truly rugged water-, fade-, rust-, and warp-resistant chairs. On top of excellent longevity, each chair features a deep seat and ergonomic back design to add to comfort.
A small side table is included along with the two chairs. Each chair measures 30 inches long by 21 inches wide by 30.5 inches tall and sits pretty low to the ground, which gives this set its modern look. This low profile means the chairs can be tough for some users to sit in and stand from, however, and each chair has a modest weight capacity of 242 pounds.
- Type: Patio chair
- Material: Steel and polypropylene resin
- Accessories included: Side table
- Steel and polypropylene-resin build is weatherproof and easy to keep clean
- Click-together assembly is easy—no tools are needed
- Low-profile and curved chair design offers a contemporary look
- Seat is low to the ground and can be difficult for some users to get in and out of
Get the Keter patio chairs at Amazon or Keter.
Sturdy and strong, the Highwood Lehigh garden chair is the best patio chair for those who need a high-capacity seat. This chair has a 500-pound weight capacity and measures 25 inches long by 27 inches wide by 35 inches tall. It’s made of Highwood-proprietary poly lumber, a synthetic material made from recycled plastics that looks similar to real wood but without the maintenance needs.
This material makes the chair easy to keep clean, season after season. It’s put together with stainless steel hardware to ensure longevity as well. Highwood manufactures this chair in several attractive colors to suit different patio and garden color palettes.
- Type: Patio chair
- Material: Poly lumber
- Accessories included: None
- High weight capacity of 500 pounds is suitable for heavier users
- Looks like real wood but is a low-maintenance and rot-, crack-, and peel-resistant piece
- Wide, contoured seat and curved armrests add to user comfort
- Some users found the seat is not deep enough for optimal comfort
Get the Highwood patio chair at Amazon, The Home Depot, Target, Overstock, or Highwood.
What to Consider when Choosing a Patio Chair
Before choosing a set of outdoor patio chairs, take a few minutes to learn about the most important shopping considerations to keep in mind, including chair type, size, and material.
There are several different types of patio chairs, including club, lounge, Adirondack, zero-gravity, recliner, hammocks, and dining chairs, that offer a range of positions, stability, and functions.
- Club chairs are a type of armchair. They were developed for indoor use with a smooth leather cover and thick comfortable cushions. However, the patio style of the club chair is typically made with metal or wicker, though it retains the armchair appearance.
- Lounge chairs are longer than normal patio chairs. Also known as pool chairs, the backrest typically reclines, allowing someone to stretch out completely on a lounge chair for a little sunbathing.
- Adirondack chairs are typically made of wood, with a distinct design that slopes downward to a deep seat that is only a foot or so off the ground. Yet these deck chairs also feature broad armrests that can act as a small table for a mug of coffee.
- Zero-gravity chairs have a design that balances and evenly distributes the body’s weight when the chair is reclined in order to release tension. This type of chair is a good option to help reduce stress, promote better circulation, and maintain a neutral spine alignment.
- Rocking chairs boast a gentle back-and-forth motion that adds to relaxation. Those intended for outdoor spaces are traditionally seen on front porches but needn’t be limited to that area. Some models may still be made of wood but lower-maintenance, weather-resistant materials are also used.
- Recliner chairs are essentially any type of patio chair that has a backrest capable of reclining to allow the person sitting in the chair to lay back. Due to this broad definition, recliner chairs can have a wide variety of appearances.
- Hammock chairs can be suspended from patio roofs or they may have a specifically designed suspension base. The hammock seat is usually made with woven cloth, though rope is also used.
- Dining chairs are generally meant to be used around a dining table and may come as a part of a full outdoor dining set. These chairs don’t have the same flexibility for relaxing poses as most other patio chairs, but the slim profile allows more of them to fit in a close space.
You’ll want to measure the size of the patio, porch, or deck to ensure that the outdoor chair (and accessories, if applicable) fits comfortably. Taking the measurements ahead of time and referencing the product information provided by the manufacturer will help plan the layout of the patio furniture without problems.
Keep in mind that some patio chair types have a reclining feature that needs to be taken into account when measuring the furniture. Zero-gravity chairs and lounge chairs should be measured at the front and the back to account for a rising footrest and a reclining backrest, while the wide armrests of an Adirondack chair could cause spacing problems for a side-by-side layout.
The materials that are used to make a patio chair commonly include hardwood, plastic, or metals like aluminum, wrought iron, and stainless steel.
- Hardwood has a classic, clean appearance that can make a patio look great. The heavy material has strength and durability only met by some types of metal. However, wood needs to be sealed to protect it from stains and water because as a porous material, it easily soaks up liquids.
- Plastic is an inexpensive material and can come in a wide variety of colors and patterns. These patio chairs won’t rust or corrode in the rain, sleet, or snow. However, plastic is not as durable as wood or metal, and the color of the plastic can fade in the sun.
- Metal patio chairs can be made with heavy-duty wrought iron, lightweight aluminum, or balanced stainless steel. These patio chairs range in durability but are typically as robust as hardwood, though they have a lighter design. Some metal is susceptible to water damage and corrosion, but stainless steel and aluminum have a natural resistance, while wrought iron is typically powder coated to protect the metal. However, make sure the chairs are properly stored in winter weather conditions.
The comfort of a patio chair is a necessary consideration. Comfort is largely reliant on the cushion(s), armrests, and backrest, which vary depending on patio chair types, and even between individual products.
- Cushions are designed to make the seat comfortable while supporting the main portion of the body’s weight when a person is sitting down. Outdoor patio chair cushions have a standard depth of 2 to 3 inches, though deeper cushions can be over 4 inches thick. Foam cushioning lasts longer than polyester fiberfill, which is a less expensive alternative that tends to flatten over time.
- Armrests or handrests allow the upper body to relax by supporting the weight of the hands, arms, and shoulders as well as a portion of the weight of the neck, back, and chest. Some handrests have cup holders, making them convenient as well as comfortable.
- Backrests and headrests also help to support the weight of the upper body. They provide a stable surface to gently lean against so that the core muscles can relax. Some backrests also recline, enabling the sitter to find an ideal angle to take a nap or read in the sun.
Patio chair sets can come with multiple chairs, tables, ottomans, umbrellas, and even canopies, depending on how the various manufacturers and sales companies package them. Chairs typically come in a set ranging from one to six, though larger dining sets may have more.
These sets may include small coffee tables, tall bar tables, or large dining tables. An ottoman or footrest can support feet and legs and may improve blood flow and oxygen circulation through the lower extremities. Other patio chair sets may come with a canopy or an umbrella that can be set up to block the sun or rain.
It’s important to store patio chairs properly to ensure that they aren’t damaged by intense sunlight, heavy rain, powerful winds, or freezing snow. If chairs will be left outdoors throughout the warmer months, it’s a good idea to invest in patio chair covers to protect against sun and rain when not in use. Chairs that can fold up are easier to slide into a shed or stand up against the wall of the house, out of the elements. This feature also makes it easier to store indoors during cold winter months.
Winterizing patio furniture indoors should be done in climates that experience extreme cold and snow. This typically involves covering up the patio furniture and storing it safely in a shed, basement, or garage. This is easier with a small patio furniture set, so consider size if items need to be stored indoors.
Take a look at these frequently asked questions and their answers to learn more about patio chairs and how to maintain them.
Q. What are the most durable patio chairs?
The most durable patio chairs are typically made out of stainless steel, wrought iron, or aluminum. Aluminum is more resistant to water than stainless steel or wrought iron, but it isn’t as strong. Whereas wrought iron is less water-resistant than either stainless steel or aluminum, it has greater strength. Stainless steel shares the beneficial qualities of both, but to a slightly lesser degree, so the most durable could be said to be any one of the three, with an average lifetime of about 20 years.
Q. What is a zero-gravity chair?
Zero-gravity chairs are recliners that balance and evenly distribute the body weight of the person reclining in the chair. This has the effect of releasing built-up tension in the muscles and allowing the spine to settle into a neutral position.
Q. How do you maintain patio furniture?
Maintaining patio furniture during warmer months is as simple as wiping pieces down before and after use and protecting them with furniture covers when not in use for short periods. If the furniture will not be used during cold winter months, it’s a good idea to store it in a basement, shed, or garage to protect the material from frigid temperatures and snow.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.