A sectional sofa is a furniture staple in many homes because it comes as several versatile pieces that can be arranged to suit user preferences. Since a sectional is a significant investment, it’s wise to ensure that the model you purchase is not just great looking and comfortable but long wearing. Style, size, construction quality, upholstery, and material are key factors to making the right decision. Use this guide to explore our top picks in a variety of categories and gain valuable intel on sectional sofas to make shopping for the best product an easy, pleasant experience.
- BEST OVERALL: Andover Mills Pawnee 4-Piece Upholstered Sectional
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Zipcode Design Azura 2-Piece Slipcovered Sectional
- BEST UPHOLSTERED: Loris Chenille 5-Piece Pit Sectional With Ottoman
- BEST LEATHER: Latitude Run Gabriel 6-Piece Leather Sectional
- BEST SLEEPER: West Elm Harris 2-Piece Sleeper Sectional
- BEST LOW-PROFILE: CB2 Faible 4-Piece Performance Velvet Sectional
- BEST MODULAR: Tucker Modular Sectional With Ottoman
- BEST FOR APARTMENTS: Joybird Holt Sectional With Storage
- BEST FOR PETS: Burrow Block Nomad Sofa Sectional
How We Chose the Best Sectional Sofas
Years of experience covering home goods and furniture as well as extensive product research went into creating this guide. We explored more than 30 sectionals and weighed a number of practical considerations, including:
- Type: To provide a variety of options for different shoppers, we aimed for a lineup that includes sectionals of varying types and configurations.
- Reviews: We read numerous user reviews to ensure that the products we recommend receive positive feedback from regular people in real-life situations.
- Value: Sectional sofas range widely in price, depending on their size, type, and the materials from which they’re constructed. We ensured that all the sofas we suggest here offer excellent value, regardless of price.
Our Top Picks
The following products represent some of the best sectional sofas on the market today. Peruse our picks to find what might fit the bill for your home in terms of size, style, material, and price.
This four-seater L-shaped sectional is made on a solid pine wood frame and features a slanted backrest, track arms, corded edges, button tufting, and tapered block feet. This piece’s suspension provides medium-firm support. Throw cushions are included as well as removable foam and synthetic fiber-filled seat and back cushions.
This sectional sofa features a classic and contemporary style, and while the linen-blend fabric has a luxe look and feel, it’s relatively easy to maintain by spot cleaning. The included ottoman can be used as extra seating, a coffee table, or a spot to stretch legs at the end of a long day.
- Seats: 4
- Length: 84 inches
- Material: Linen blend
- Solid pine wood frame ensures durability and long-lasting use
- Versatile ottoman provides multiple uses as extra seating, a table, or leg rest
- Classic linen-blend fabric is both stylish and easy to spot clean
- Medium-firm support might not cater to those seeking plush comfort
Get the Andover Mills sectional sofa at Wayfair.
Sectional sofas tend to come with high price tags, but there are still plenty of affordable options available. This compact option is designed to adapt to the space where it’s placed, with a reversible storage ottoman that can be set on either side of the sofa. With a resilient solid wood frame wrapped in a ultraviolet (UV)-resistant cotton-blend fabric, this set is as durable as it is stylish. Foam and polyester cushions are supported by coil springs to ensure a cozy lounging experience. It comes in several neutral colors to complement many living room decors.
- Seats: 3
- Length: 78.7 inches
- Material: Cotton blend
- Durable, UV-resistant cotton-blend fabric extends the sofa’s lifespan
- Solid wood frame combined with high-density sponge ensures comfort
- Compact size is practical for small apartments or suite-style spaces
- This sectional sofa only seats a maximum of 3 people.
Get the Zipcode Design sectional sofa at Wayfair.
Indulge in luxurious comfort with the Loris U-shaped sectional. This ultracozy sofa has a pit design with an ottoman that fits into the center for the ultimate lounging experience. Designed for contemporary living spaces, this sofa is upholstered in a 100 percent polyester chenille weave that offers both durability and a super-soft texture.
Its eight-gauge sinuous spring system guarantees uniform seating support, warding off sagging, and the 1.8-pound density foam cushioning is complemented with a down-blend topper for comfort and resilience.
- Seats: 5
- Length: 114 inches
- Material: Chenille (polyester)
- Soft chenille upholstery combines luxury with durability for everyday use
- 8-gauge sinuous spring system offers uniform comfort and prevents sagging
- Reinforced frame construction ensures long-lasting stability and strength
- Requires specialized cleaning and cannot be cleaned with water-based products
Get the Loris sectional sofa at Raymour & Flanigan.
When it comes to luxury and durability, it’s hard to beat a genuine leather couch. This handsome Latitude Run Gabriel model is upholstered with top-grain leather, which is renowned for its rugged yet refined appearance, ensuring that the sofa will feel fabulous while withstanding daily wear. It’s capable of seating six people, with a total length of 166.5 inches. With three shades of brown leather to choose from, there’s an option for every taste.
It’s important to note that while the included ottoman can be moved to provide a foot rest, the sectional itself is not reversible. It has a left-hand orientation, meaning that when facing the widest part of the sofa, the longest piece is on the left-hand side.
- Seats: 6
- Length: 166.5 inches
- Material: Top-grain leather
- Long sofa capable of seating up to 6 people; ideal for large households
- The sofa’s design is versatile and can suit a variety of home decor styles
- Top-grain leather offers a combination of luxury and longevity
- The sofa’s left-hand orientation may not suit all living spaces
Get the Latitude Run sectional sofa at Wayfair.
Folks hoping to add extra sleeping space will want to consider this West Elm piece, a sectional sofa that cleverly converts to a queen-size bed. This sleeper sofa marries style with function, with a sleek aesthetic that belies the mattress hidden in its frame.
Supported by espresso-finished legs and high-gauge springs, its cushions offer medium firmness and are fiber wrapped around resilient foam cores. West Elm, known for top-notch customizability, offers shoppers the ability to choose within a large spectrum of upholstery options for the sofa bed as well as different orientations and cushion styles.
- Seats: 4
- Length: 112 inches
- Material: Varies
- Hand finishing ensures artisanal quality and durability
- Engineered hardwood frame with kiln-dried wood resists warping
- Designed for comfort with heat-wicking gel-infused foam
- Due to its high-quality construction, this sofa has a high-end price point
Get the West Elm sectional sofa at West Elm.
Those looking for a spacious sofa that doesn’t take up a lot of visual space will appreciate the low profile and clean lines of CB2’s Faible sectional. You can choose between four configurations to best suit your needs and the size and shape of your living room.
The layered foam seat cushions are wrapped in poly-fiber batting for ultimate comfort. It’s upholstered in 100 percent polyester performance velvet fabric that’s designed to be stain-resistant while maintaining a luxurious look. One downside is that the sofa is only available in two shades, but the deep gray and tawny wheat are neutral choices that should feel at home with most color schemes.
- Seats: Varies
- Length: 149 inches
- Material: Performance velvet
- The layout is fully customizable to adapt to users’ needs
- Performance velvet fabric pairs elegance with practicality
- Low-profile design makes for a sleek and minimalist appearance
- Only available in 2 upholstery options; might not fit every home decor
Get the CB2 sectional sofa at CB2.
This low-profile modular sectional is right facing and features a low back and piping with polyester upholstery. It seats five, comes with throw pillows, and offers a simple and neutral look that goes well with most interior decor and style preferences.
Great things about this sectional are its spacious size and the versatility of the modular design, plus an ottoman that can be used as an extra seat or a footrest. However, assembly is required for this sofa, and it might require a little more TLC for maintenance since the cushion covers are not machine washable. Frequent vacuuming or brushing is recommended to remove dirt and dust.
- Seats: 5
- Length: 98.8 inches
- Material: Polyester
- Modular design offers flexibility in terms of arrangement and adaptation
- Neutral aesthetic complements a wide range of interior decor styles
- Spacious seating with added utility from the included ottoman
- Cushion covers are not machine washable, making cleaning more difficult
Get the Tucker sectional sofa at Havenly.
When choosing a sofa for a small apartment, many settle for a three-seater option over more spacious sectionals. But this Joybird sectional offers room for four, and possibly more, to lounge without overwhelming close quarters. Plus, it features added storage for tucking away throws, pillows, and other essentials when not in use—a real asset in a closet-starved space.
Shoppers can choose from a wide variety of upholstery fabrics, including pet-friendly options. While most pieces are made to order, there are also some models that are ready to ship for optimal convenience. Choose from left-hand or right-hand orientation, and add an optional ottoman for even more stealth storage.
- Seats: 4+
- Length: 121 inches
- Material: Varies
- Ideal size for apartments, balancing spacious seating with a midrange footprint
- Built-in storage offers additional functionality, optimizing space utility
- Variety of upholstery fabrics with pet-friendly choices are available
- Made-to-order options might involve longer wait times
Get the Joybird sectional sofa at Joybird.
Pet parents know the risk of buying a beautiful piece of upholstered furniture that could get stained or scratched by their beloved fur babies. Luckily, furniture brand Burrow designs their products with pet owners in mind. The company uses tightly woven fabric that resists snags from claws and won’t absorb spills and stains, so it can be easily tidied up. The material in the Nomad line can be cleaned with a variety of solutions—including bleach.
The Burro sectional is fully customizable with a variety of upgrades available. It boasts sleek, classic style and comes in four neutral colors.
- Seats: 3
- Length: 85 inches
- Material: Olefin
- Upholstery fabric specifically designed for pet owners, resisting scratches and stains
- Fully customizable, ensuring the sectional fits diverse preferences and aesthetics
- Includes a built-in USB charger and power cord for charging mobile devices
- Limited seating capacity, accommodating up to only 3 people
Get the Burrow sectional sofa at Burrow.
What to Consider When Choosing a Sectional Sofa
There are various considerations to take into account when selecting the best sectional sofa for your purposes. Primarily, you’ll need to keep in mind how much space you have to work with and how much seating you want to incorporate. The configuration of a sectional also needs to be taken into account to fit your area’s layout; you’ll want the room to flow well and feel as open as possible. Upholstery and material, style, and convertibility are key, as well.
The amount of space you have available could be the most important factor in choosing the best sectional sofa. A small studio apartment will be suited to very different furniture than will a high-ceiling 400-square-foot room. You’ll have several considerations to make in terms of space.
Ask yourself how much of the room your sectional sofa should fill and whether you plan to add other furniture like chairs, end tables, or a coffee table. This will impact the size and shape of the sectional you choose. You shouldn’t see a sectional sofa extending past things like walls, windows, or shelves or placed on its own in a large space. The best sectional sofas offer separation and space to rooms with open floor plans and define specific living spaces within them, like living and dining rooms.
Consider how many people will be using the sectional sofa at once, as this really will inform the size and shape of the piece you need. Will it be just you and your significant other? Will it be the spot your kids congregate multiple times a day? Do you want to entertain a few people at once? Don’t forget about the dog or cat, especially if your pet is larger in size; your pets need space, too!
Your sectional will likely look very different if you foresee yourself sprawling out solo with a good book than one you’d choose if you frequently invite friends and family over. Know how many seats you need, consider the comfort of those who will sit in them, and ensure the sectional generously accommodates those needs.
Before making a purchase decision, you’ll need to know how you want your sectional to be set up and oriented. Your configuration needs help determine which sectional to choose—and your lifestyle largely determines this. There are a number of options for setting up your sectional, with some of the most common ones being the following.
- L-shape: This is a style in which both sides are equally long, or one side is longer. The L-shape setup works best in large rooms with lots of wall space.
- U-shape: This is just like the letter U, but sometimes one side is shorter than the other. A U-shape setup is great for large, square, or awkwardly shaped rooms.
- Chaise: Sectionals with a chaise lounge are quite common and suit smaller, open areas. Some models come with a chaise that only works on the left or the right side of the arrangement, but the best sectional sofa options will have the versatility to swap sides as needed when rearranging a room layout or moving.
- Curved: This is a rounded corner design that lends itself to a date night in and for snuggling or intimate conversation.
While you may gravitate to a fabric or material based on its aesthetic and style, remember that functionality is at least as important, if not more. Natural fibers are usually softer but can easily pill or fade, while synthetics can be more stain-resistant and durable. Likewise, suede can get damaged easily, while dark leather wears well and is timeless and easy to clean.
A removable slipcover could be your best bet if you have small children or pets, or if you prefer white, as slipcovers can be machine washable.
A final consideration you don’t want to miss is texture. Rough or scratchy furniture just isn’t comfortable, which can make lounging around not as relaxing. If possible, try to feel the material against your arm or face before you purchase; your hands may not notice the roughness as much.
Whether you’re attracted to a particular look or you find a broad range appealing, you’ll find a variety of styles from which to choose the best sectional sofa. To help narrow the choices down, think of the type that suits your home and the room, and go with your gut!
If you like:
- Minimalist and modern: Look for sleek, clean lines; a boxy shape; metal legs; and vibrant, dramatic colors.
- Midcentury modern: You’ll find streamlined sectionals that look more lightweight and smaller scale than other styles. Key features include metal, leather, and tufted accents.
- Eclectic, with a mix of decor: Look for a combination of different styles, like a vintage reupholstered sectional sofa or something more modern with traditional features.
- Traditional: A classically structured piece with curved lines in a solid, neutral-colored fabric that blends with many colors and accent chairs might be right for you.
Modular sectionals are versatile since you can get seats in different depths and widths. This type of sectional, particularly those with five pieces, allows you to create the best shape for the room. A nice plus about modular sectionals is that you aren’t limited to those that align with the room’s design or layout since you can reconfigure and rearrange modular sectionals.
You may not have known that sectionals come in a sleeper style, which is useful for putting up guests. Keep in mind that some sleeper sectionals can be much heavier than other sectional types because of the weight of the bed tucked inside. Others simply fold down into a bed but still use the sofa cushion, so they may not offer the support of a traditional mattress. However, this versatile option meets two needs with one solution, and you may not have an issue with either setup.
You may still have some questions about how to choose the best sectional sofas, which is completely understandable. With so many considerations and options out there, it can be a daunting task to sift through the information. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions and answers about the best sectional sofas to help you make the best choice.
Q. Is an L-shaped couch the same as a sectional sofa?
Sectional sofas can comprise many different furniture elements and layouts. An L-shaped couch is just one example.
Q. How do you know if you need a right- or left-facing sectional?
Look at the sectional. If the chaise is on your right, the sectional is right-facing, and vice versa. Choose what flows and looks best (usually the most open) in your space.
Q. Where do you place a sectional in a living room?
Since sectionals are usually more oversize and deeper than other furniture, the middle of the room can be the best spot so the rest of the open space can be utilized.
Q. Where do you place a coffee table with a sectional?
Leave 14 to 18 inches between the sofa’s edge and the table. Don’t extend the table past either arm of an L-shaped sectional to avoid imbalance and blocking traffic flow.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.