Latest Discussions : Basement & Foundation


03:50PM | 01/30/03
Member Since: 01/29/03
3 lifetime posts
I have a question I hope someone can shed a little light on for me. I have a single story ranch style house in KY. I am getting large amounts of water under the house when it rains. I have been under the house and actually watched water come in under the bottom foundation block sitting on top of the footer. It looks like to me that the morter has just washed away. I have several spots where there are places where it is cracked or the morter is missing. What would be the best way to fix this problem? I really don't want to put a pump under the house or a french drain. I would like to stop the water.


02:32AM | 01/31/03
Member Since: 01/28/03
693 lifetime posts
Unfortunately the only way to completly rsolve the problem is by putting in a full exterior french drain system.

Short of that you can only attempt to temporarily control the flow of water into the basement using a combination of hydraulic cement and a hydraulic paint coating (like DryLok) or to have an interior basement de-watering system installed.


06:23PM | 02/01/03
Member Since: 01/01/03
35 lifetime posts
So when it rains, you get a river in the basement. Where's that water coming from? Is it from a downspout that directs water towards the foundation walls? Is it coming downhill and running to the lowest point, which happens to be that big hole next to your foundation?

The first step is always to see if there is a way to prevent the water from getting close to the foundation. If you get a river of water running to your basement walls, no amount of mortar and Drylock will make much of a difference. Look at your grading, your downspouts, and your landscaping to make sure water wants to go elsewhere. After you've ruled any of those problems out, then it's time to look at sealing and drain systems.


Keith Martin

09:15AM | 02/03/03
Member Since: 01/15/03
20 lifetime posts
You don't specify but it sound like you are talking about a crawl space.
If this is the case, and you do not wish to dig up the exterior, you can install a footing drain on the inside, collect the water, then send it out, hopefully by gravity.

Hope this helps


02:11PM | 02/03/03
Member Since: 01/29/03
3 lifetime posts
Sorry Guys! I should have been a little more specific. I am talking about a crawl space and my home does sit on a small grade that slopes toward the house. The only problem here is that the dirt is already up to the vinyl siding and I cannot increase the fall from the house now. The kicker here is that I have found a drain pipe coming out of the foundation wall at the back of the house someone else had installed (it would have been nice if my home inspector had found this and told me about it and I would not have bought this house). The other option I am looking at is to stop the water at the street. I am in the process of calling my county magistrate to see if they will come out and dig me a better ditch in front of my house. I do have all the down spouts directed away from the house. It is really weird to watch the water run in under the bottom concrete block and the footer. The reason I would like to stop this water is for (1) I am afraid it is going to hurt the resale of my house and two (2) in the winter around November the bar area of my kitchen right where the ceiling and wall comes together will open up to a crack about 3/8 of an inch. I am racking my brain to figure out what is going on here. Is it the water under the house? Or is it truss lift? And why does the crack only open up in the cold weather and close up in the summer? The water is still getting under the house then and the cracks close up. Guys, thank you for all your time and help on this subject.



11:22AM | 02/05/03
Member Since: 01/28/03
693 lifetime posts
The crack between the ceiling and wall is truss lift but it can be exacerbated by excess moisture in the home from the water in the basment.

The only solution for the water problem is an exterior french drain system or an interior basement dewatering system.

Here is a helpful link:

[This message has been edited by homebild (edited February 05, 2003).]

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button