Latest Discussions : Basement & Foundation


05:01PM | 02/16/04
Member Since: 03/08/03
8 lifetime posts
We had a slow water leak from our refrigerator. By the time we noticed, a small part of our kitchen floor had warped. We got all of the affected hardwood flooring pulled up, but the insulation in our crawl space is soaked. Can I put a kerosene space heater under the house to dry it out?. If not what are my options

Thanks for the replies. We did get the insulation out. 4 foot sections between 5 joists so that won't be much of a problem to replace. I did see one part of the subfloor that looked like it had a small bubble in it 3inch x 3inch section. We have decided to go without filing an insurance claim. I figured since I did most of the hard work tearing out the floor and the insulation, I may as well complete the job. The floor dried pretty quick, but I am still going to wait a few more days before putting any of the cabinets back. Any suggestions on hardwood flooring suppliers?

[This message has been edited by vskerche (edited February 19, 2004).]


04:06AM | 02/17/04
Member Since: 09/16/02
250 lifetime posts
I agree with K2. I would pull out the wet insulation and replace it. Leave it out until everything is dry.

As far as drying it out, I wouldn't put a kerosene heater down there. Aren't there people dying od CO2 poisoning from that. Not to mention the fire hazard. How about a dehumidifier? It probably wouldn't hurt to leave the dehumidifier down there for during the summer. If you have to have heat to thaw the water out why not disconnect one of your heat ducts? I have heard pros and cons on this. If you have smells down there you will blow them into the house. On the other hand the floors will be a little warmer.

Good luck,

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button