Latest Discussions : Basement & Foundation


05:19PM | 01/08/07
Member Since: 01/07/07
2 lifetime posts
Building a dairy milking room and cheese room in an existing concrete basement. The dairy inspector requires some sort of concrete threshold on the floor, that creates a watertight barrier, as well as, lifting up the studs to prevent water damage. How would you create a watertight threshold across the floor? The existing basement has 3 sides already built in, just need to make a "T" partition to create two rooms. Should I use steel studs? Build 2x4's on top of blocks? Walls are concrete as well. How do I secure the blocks to the floor and studs? Where do you screw studs to floor joists?

somebody help!!


02:47AM | 01/16/07
Member Since: 03/03/05
271 lifetime posts
I'm a little confused by your post, but I am willing to take the time to help you. You state threshold, but a threshold is the floor area inside of a doorframe that connects one room to another. From what I gather, the inspector wants you to basically make a containment area. I have worked on FDA and USDA projects and usually have a good idea of what they expect. I just finished a project last week for Harvard University that needed USDA approval, which it did. If you are in the Massachusetts area, I may be able to look at it. You can email me at (I do not use my professional email address here because I do not want people to think I am here just to self promote, and I have never received a job from these posts)

If you need to make a containment area, did your inspector give you an idea of the depth? Does he expect you to have an epoxy or like floor with seemless baseboard? Let's try to nail it down, if we need to speak over the phone, that would be fine.


04:41AM | 01/16/07
Member Since: 01/07/07
2 lifetime posts
Dear King Volcano,

Yes, you are correct with the containment asumption, I did not word it very well. Thanks for writing back! I live out in the middle of nowhere in Maine, so I don't think you can stop by. This floor issue is very confusing, I have had 5 different answers ranging from cinder blocks to jackhammers. The inspector mentioned nothing of depth, in fact, he seems very flexible. He did mention a concrete containment area within the two rooms I am building. I need to know the smartest way to contain liquid inside this rooms, the rooms are small, 10 x 16 approx. I have decided to go with polymax polyethelyne wall boarding for walls and ceiling either screwed directly to studs or applyed to thin plywood. I initially was told by multiple people to brick out the foundation with ciderblock, then pour concrete into the hollows with a J bolt, which then would bolt to a pressure treated plate, then screw down studs. My carpenter friend says ciderblock would suck up milk and also diminsish room size. I don't want to use cinderblocks. The inspector said "some sort of concrete threshold with blocks" and that's about it. How about some kind of rubber molding caulked down to the concrete floors?

Any info will help. I need to buy supplies soon!



Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button