With all due respect, all situations are different and while detergent will clean and area, it will not kill the mold. There is a difference between cleaning and sanitizing. If you do not kill the mold, you can spread the mold. Simply wiping down an area WILL NOT remove all of the spores from the surface. Any items used in the process should be thrown away if it cannot be properly sanitized. Also, if you have mold forming in the basement, there are spores in the air which will want to find new sources of food. So, if you do not treat the air as well as the surfaces, the chances of the mold returning at some point are high, not to mention it can be spread to other areas of the house.
Here area possible scenerios to consider by washing an area with water and detergent.
1. Since mold is not killed by detergents, you will feed the mold with water.
2. Any water droplets that reach the floor will now contain active mold spores where they can grow, or you can step on it and track it to other areas of the house.
3. If is sponge/rag is used, now the sponge is infected. If this sponge is put under your sink, there is a risk of cross contamination to other items under your sink.
4. If a water pail is used to rinse the rag/sponge, now the bucket can be infected.
5. if you don't use gloves, the mold spores can lodge under your fingernails. Then if you touch your eyes, ears, nose or other areas of the body you can become infected.
I'm not trying to scare anyone, but these are real world concerns that are well documented.
You can never be too careful when it comes to dealing with mold and your health.
Education is the key.