Latest Discussions : HVAC


04:46PM | 11/17/03
Member Since: 02/02/03
6 lifetime posts
I would like to use R11 faced insulation (with vapor barrier) to help deaden some sound from room to room in my basement. Is it ok to use the faced kind with vapor barrier (per code)? I just think that it's easier to staple it to the studs than to press fit between the studs.

I'm in Mass if that helps..?



02:58PM | 11/29/03
Member Since: 11/06/02
1278 lifetime posts
Yes, but it won't help much for the sound transmissions. Solids, like the studes, carry most of the vibrations anyway.
If you have the space available, you can layer homasote or foam board under the drywall to isolate the studs from the vibrations, or youi should frame a party wall


08:05AM | 11/08/18
What is a party wall?
I saw a product called acoustical sealant to possible apply between studwork and the Sheetrock. Would that help with sound vibration?

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button