03:23AM | 08/14/02
Member Since: 07/05/01
25 lifetime posts
I want to replace the tiny window in our bathroom with a larger window, but would like to find one that is similar to Anderson's architectural series (stained glass, frosted glass, etc.).

Anderson, Pella, and the other big names, offer some windows like this, but all have clear glass in them. I am trying to find one that is completely opaque to provide privacy and so I won't have to cover the stained/frosted glass with a shade. Any suggestions? I asked Anderson and Marvin about suggestions for a bathroom window, and the reply was, "I've never had that question asked." Hard to believe!

Thanks for any advice. - Jason


06:13AM | 08/14/02
Member Since: 03/13/00
1675 lifetime posts
Are you sure you don't want "translucent" rather than "opaque"? Opaque means that no light gets through at all.

[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited August 15, 2002).]


06:17AM | 08/14/02
Member Since: 07/05/01
25 lifetime posts
Yes, I suppose "transparent" would be more appropriate then. We want light to come through, but don't want to give a show to the neighbors. Thanks - Jason


01:44PM | 08/14/02
Member Since: 06/19/02
15 lifetime posts
Actually the texture that you're looking for is translucent. This allows light to pass through but does not allow shapes to be seen.


02:13AM | 08/15/02
Member Since: 03/13/00
1675 lifetime posts
Mark208 is correct. I meant to say "translucent" -- not transparent.
Completely clear glass is transparent. (I edited my earlier post to correct.)

[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited August 15, 2002).]


06:47AM | 10/02/02
Member Since: 10/01/02
1 lifetime posts
Call your local glass shop. We've got a big window over our stairway landing that affords our neighbors a great view of our bedroom. I called the glass shop and they're more than happy to replace our clear glass with frosted. Said they could do both 100 year old windows (double hung) in a day. We're actually going to pull the windows out tonight so I can deliver them to the glass shop in the am.


06:53AM | 10/02/02
Member Since: 03/13/00
1675 lifetime posts
A much cheaper and easier way is to use "window wallpaper". They have it at home improvement places in the wallpaper section.

doug seibert

12:42PM | 10/02/02
Member Since: 08/10/02
842 lifetime posts
Gila window films has a Privacy window film that is translucent for this purpose..........check at:


Click to reply button Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon