Latest Discussions : Miscellaneous


04:36AM | 07/15/01
Member Since: 05/27/01
3 lifetime posts
My husband and I are looking at a Farmhouse
built in 1895. My husband agrees it needs to
be inspected for foundation electric heating
plumbing. But I have another concern lead
paint. The house has so many coats of paint
the doors won't close properly and it has alot of windows and all the floors are
painted. My husband doesn't feel it's a major
concern. Can anyone give us some feedbacon the subject. gt


01:16PM | 07/15/01
Member Since: 09/01/00
312 lifetime posts
Lead paint is most often associated with the danger of children ingesting the paint chips and getting lead poisoning.Few realize that if you sand lead paint and inhale the dust,then you may as well be eating it as the lead is absorbed in the lungs.You may want to research this further before making any decisions, however,like asbestos,there are ways of working with lead paint removal which lessen your chances for lead poisoning.


07:44AM | 07/17/01
Member Since: 01/16/01
71 lifetime posts
I agree with Matches on the lead paint issue. There are techniques/products that can be used to remove or abate lead paint. I've read as long as you prevent the creation of airborne particles and take necessary precautions against skin exposure, removal of lead paint would not be hazardous.

Often as part of the home inspection, an assesment of lead paint abatement/removal in the home is required. I believe some cities require that any lead paint be addressed before a certificate of occupancy can be issued. Just for your own benefit, ask your town's building inspector. The lead paint could be another card for you to play in the negotiation of the price of the home since it is a hazard that will have to be dealt with as the new home owner which will cost money and time.


09:52AM | 07/23/01
Member Since: 04/05/01
32 lifetime posts
I've got an older home and lead paint was a concern for both my wife and myself. I spent a lot of time, but eventually tracked down a hardware store that sold lead paint test kits. I live in Ontario, and Home Depot doesn't seem to carry them here, but I've been told they do in the states. I tested the paint and found no lead, so we both felt much better. This was, though, after we purchased the house. It was also made easier by the fact that the house had only been painted once or twice, depending on the room. If you have many layers of paint it would probably be worthwhile having a lab do an analysis for you. See if you could get a paint chip to analyse from the vendor, but that's asking a lot because, if they know, they'd have to disclose that info, if asked, where I come from.

Good luck.



09:46PM | 07/31/01
Member Since: 07/31/01
4 lifetime posts
My husband and i purchased an 1866 farmhouse and we both became quite ill rom the lead paint. A good solution is PEEL AWAY 7- You can find this in WOODCRAFT stores or online in the OLD HOMES site. You just put it on- cover it- allow it to dry- than take off the wax paper. It conceals all the lead paint with no dust. ANd it's safe! It was made to remove lead paint. Wish we had it before we beame ill. Hope this helps.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button