Latest Discussions : Miscellaneous


06:01PM | 01/11/05
Member Since: 01/10/05
1 lifetime posts
I need help! The walls around my bathtub were paneled years ago and at some point an acrylic type covering was rolled over that. I bought the house last year and could not stand the gold glitter walls, so I painted over it. This didn't work well around the bathtub. I noticed a few months ago that the wall was bulging around the faucet area. Water has gotten to the paneling and warped it, I think. There were bi-fold shower doors up, which didn't work too well, so I removed them a couple of weeks ago. When I did, it was obvious that the paneling was rotted - at least at the end of the tub where the faucets are. My question is...if I put up a tub surround, do I need to take all the paneling down? Can the tub surround be attached just to the studs? Will I need some kind of board to replace the paneling? I really want to do this myself - maybe with the help of my son-in-law - and haven't been able to find the answers I need. Thanks in advance. Cecilia


07:53AM | 01/05/07
Member Since: 01/04/07
1 lifetime posts
unfourtunatly you will have to take the old stuff off first, if you cover over it you will have a mold problem.And you need to find out what is leaking.It's probably the faucet if it has been around awile you should replace it while everything is apart.i would not recomend putting the suroound directly on the studs most surrounds are only 1/8 inch thick and you will have no support.The job you are attempting can be done by yourself with a little paitence and help from someone.

good luck


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button