02:56PM | 06/07/02
Member Since: 06/06/02
2 lifetime posts
Does anybody know what to use to preserve wooden wine barrels that will be used to catch rain runoff? The source where I would buy the barrels (a winery)told me that unless you keep the barrels full of water, they will deteriorate. Are there preservatives, sealers, etc that I could apply to the wood?

Mark Hammond

04:30PM | 06/07/02
Member Since: 05/09/01
246 lifetime posts
Hi dhef,
I would think that any good preservative would keep the barrels from deteriorating but what are you planning on doing with the water? No drinking I hope. The barrels should be kept full to keep the joints tight as you would in a wooden boat. The wood stays swelled up and tight holding the water. This won't always preserve the wood, just keep the joints tight. Cuprinol, Waterseal among others are good preservatives. My question is if you seal the wood with a preservative will the wood still absorb the water and stay tight? Very interesting.....Mark Hammond


11:06AM | 06/08/02
There is a water-based product called “Woodlife” (made by Wolmen) that works very well. Being it is water-based, you could fill the barrels and they should remain tight. The question then is, after they are emptied and allowed to dry out, will they shrink? Probably so, but you can always go back and caulk the leaks from the inside if they appear later. This product is used in a dip tank at a local “high-end” woodcraft shop here for exterior moldings, handrails, etc. and I have found it to be a very good product. Brush, roller, or spray can be used to apply it, but soaking is by far the best.



05:59PM | 06/08/02
Member Since: 06/06/02
2 lifetime posts
Thanks Mark and Glenn. To Mark--I want to use the rain water as replenishment to fill an adjacent pond. I'm in the desert southwest so rain isn't a big issue, but it would be nice to fill the pond with fresh (non-utility) water. I suppose I can keep the barrels pretty full, and then at the sign of rain, drain them before the barrels fill up with fresh rain water.
To GlennG--where could I find "Woodlife"? I've found the big home stores (Home Depot, ***** ) don't really seem to know much about what I'm looking for.


07:03PM | 06/08/02
Go to this site:

The full name of the product you want to look at is "Woodlife Coppercoat".
You will find more information about the product there, as well as a link on the left side of the page "Where to buy" that will answer your question.



05:35PM | 06/09/02
Member Since: 09/23/01
242 lifetime posts
DO NOT use any sealer! It will not hold up against constant moisture. The barrels will not rot for years if kept off the ground and full of water. Consider using plastic barrels.


04:04PM | 06/10/02
The Woodlife Coppercoat I mentioned is meant for use on wood that is in constant contact with water. It is not a sealer it is a preservative and will work fine.


Click to reply button Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon