Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


05:30AM | 08/26/04
Member Since: 08/25/04
1 lifetime posts
Hi, all! First let me say that I am a total novice in terms of home repair so I may not use the correct terms in describing my problem. I would like to install a dimmer switch for my living room overhead lights. The problem is that the current on/off switch for the living room is part of a unit of two switches, the other switch being for the kitchen. I would like to keep the kitchen on a regular on/off switch. I thought I could just replace the initial two-switch unit with a dimmer switch for the living room and a single on/off switch for the kitchen but it doesn't look like I can do that without widening the hole in the wall and replacing the metal box with one that can hold two single switches. Like I said, I'm a novice and I don't want to do any of that for fear I'll screw things up.

I was wondering if could find a two-switch unit like the one I have now only with one being a dimmer switch. The ones I've found on the market are really only meant to be wired to the same light.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help you could give me.


11:44AM | 09/01/04
Member Since: 09/17/02
524 lifetime posts
I believe they do make a unit like you require. You might need to go to an electrical supply house to find it.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button