05:30AM | 05/11/05
Member Since: 02/25/05
42 lifetime posts
I own a 600 square foot post and beam house with a crawlspace foundation on a sizeable chunk of land, and would like to build a new larger home behind it. Since my existing house would be in the way of a future garage, I have wondered about the possibility of selling just the structure to someone who would move it to another piece of land. How might I determine if there is a market for this, and how would I advertise a house for sale that is literally just the house?


06:57PM | 10/08/05
Member Since: 10/07/05
1 lifetime posts
mikee - Did you ever get an answer to your question? I'm interested in selling my own home (structure only)


07:43PM | 10/08/05
Member Since: 02/25/05
42 lifetime posts

Jim D

12:43AM | 10/11/05
Member Since: 01/06/01
342 lifetime posts
Mikee72 - hi, this certainly sounds like something you'd have to check locally with your real estate agents. Your biggest competition would be modular/manufactured homes that people could purchase and have erected on their land. In your case, you'd have to locate a mover who could lift the home, put it onto a suitable trailer, and move it to wherever it's going. I've seen it done but I imagine it's very expensive - so that cost has to be figured into your selling cost (depends on who foots the bill for the mover - higer if you do, lower if the buyer does). If it's been done locally, hopefully the local real estate agents can tell you. Otherwise, maybe a magazine like "This Old House" might give you some idea as to the market. Good luck! Jim D/West Point, VA


03:38AM | 10/14/05
Member Since: 02/25/05
42 lifetime posts
Thanks for the advice, Jim.


07:31AM | 03/25/09
Member Since: 03/24/09
4 lifetime posts
When you buy real estate, what you buy is land. Anything permanently attached -- like a house -- comes with it.

However, I've read somewhere else that in Maryland, buying home less the land is common.

Apparently the landowner retains ownership of the land and you pay rent to them.

The answer to the question should be, it depends on where you are buying a house and that you need to seek real estate agents or property management companies that would walk you through the process properly.


07:55PM | 05/08/10
Member Since: 05/07/10
2 lifetime posts
To address the part about not owning the land in Maryland, I believe technically you still own the land, but owe recurring and fixed payments to the owner of the ground rent.

For a few thousand dollars you can buy ground rents, the prices are fixed based on the amount of the ground rental.

It's a strange, archaic system, but one that can no longer be changed because the ground rents have been traded and sold and are considered legal.


Click to reply button Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon