Latest Discussions : Plumbing


11:12AM | 07/25/01
Member Since: 07/24/01
2 lifetime posts
We recently purchased a 100+ year old cast iron tub where the plumbing mounts onto the floor. The unique thing about this tub is that it fills from the bottom where the drain is, not through faucets. We'd like to convert this to a shower/bath combo with a separate hand held shower, but would prefer to keep the existing awesome solid brass piping, etc. Is there some type of diverter
available for this type of plumbing? Thanks in advance ...

[This message has been edited by Annie (edited July 25, 2001).]


11:05AM | 08/19/01
Member Since: 08/18/01
16 lifetime posts
I am concerened about the safety of your tub filling from a drain? On all newer plumbing fixtures there is an air gap, that is the distance from a spout or outlet to the fixture.(for example the distance from a tub spout to the tub, or kitchen sink spout to the sink itself)The air gap prevents any water that has been run out of the taps from coming back in contact with the taps. On older Cast tubs there was no air gap, this can cause the tub water to potentialy flow back into your water lines through the taps and be re-distributed to the rest of your house. Do you want to risk getting a glass of tub water at your kitchen sink?

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button