Latest Discussions : Plumbing


06:55PM | 05/31/04
Member Since: 05/30/04
1 lifetime posts
Hi! We are in the process of remodeling our bathroom. We had the tub and drain assembly in place only to find out that when the tub was filled with water and then drained, it leaked. the tub is in place and cannot be moved. The shoe part of the drain assembly is cocked (with respect to the tub drain)and there is a gap between the rubber gasket and the metal tub. when you look down through the drain, you can wiggle about 1/2 of the rubber gasket (which is where our leak was coming from). Is there any way to fix this without cutting out the old drain assembly (my husband said that would be near impossible because of the lack of space). We thought maybe there may be other rubber gaskets that would be more pliable and one side could compress more? We tried loosening the overflow valve to see if we could get the shoe and gasket to seal better, and it did help a little, but there is still a slight gap. Thanks for any suggestions!!


plumber Tom

06:52PM | 06/01/04
Member Since: 05/10/03
801 lifetime posts
before the rubber gasket on the shoe, you need what is called a friction ring. All afriction ring is a piece of cardboard that provides more surface area to make the rubber gasket seal properly. Without the friction ring, the rubber gasket squeezes out of proportion, and in your case is leaking from this area. Re-do the drain shoe and overflow, you'll be able to get it right. I know from being a plumber tight spots such as these are difficult to manuever in. A little patience is the key. Post back if you need more help, Tom

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button