11:44AM | 05/23/05
Member Since: 05/09/05
3 lifetime posts
I am in the middle of a complete bathroom redo. New tub, new sink, new toilet, new vanity, and new faucets. I have purchase a shower/tub faucet with three handles for a period look. There is no "anti-scald" or "balanced pressure" valve. According to several sales experts, you only need them for a single handled valve. (True or false?)

Anyways, my question: is it better to increase the water supply lines from 1/2" diameter to 3/4" diameter as a solution to a scalding issue? The scalding issue is when someone flushes the toilet or the washing machine is filling and someone else is in the shower, they get burned.

Note, I can only increase the supply lines in the basement and not on any vertical lines to the second floor. Will this help?


02:13PM | 05/28/05
Member Since: 08/29/04
227 lifetime posts
Here's the deal, you can have an anti-scald installed behind the wall. It is a special device for period type fauctes. And don't let the salesman confuse you, there are two handle and 3 handle faucets that have anti-scald built right in. Check with Kohler and American standard. But in addition to that, you should have anti-scald even if you have two or three handle faucets.

But as to your question about water pipe sizing. If the water pressure in your home is real good and you isolate the water line to the toilet, by running a direct line from the meter to the toilet, you shouldn't have a problem. In the newer homes with Pex manifolds, the manifold allows for full flow to all fixtures. So if you have a pressure drop to a toilet, while someone is in the shower, you will have an equal drop in the hot water heater.

Good Luck

Raymond VinZant Plumbing Prof.
Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... This spacious mudroom just off from the laundry room has plenty of room for tucking towels away and drying off after a dip... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon