Latest Discussions : Plumbing

ChiLEK

10:23AM | 02/02/07
Member Since: 02/01/07
1 lifetime posts
I live in a high-rise apartment building and 5 days ago a pipe burst 4 floors above my bathroom. The building managers did not turn off the water immediately. Although my bathroom appears to be unaffected (no water leaks) there was a STRONG odor filling up my entire room and bathroom when I got home. It smells like a combination of mildew and cigar smoke. The smell has been diminishing, but I am concerned about mold and mildew in the walls causing health issues. The maintenence men told me the plaster walls cannot get wet and therefore mold cannot grow. They are saying the smell is unrelated to the pipe burst. Can someone please tell me if plaster walls can be affected by mold? Can't the wall structure (wooden beams, etc.) become wet as well? Also, what is the easiest and most cost efficient way to test for mold on the interior of walls? I would really appreciate any insight anyone can provide!


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button

Anonymous

Post new button or Login button
Register