Latest Discussions : Miscellaneous

rw2003

04:36PM | 04/26/06
Member Since: 04/23/06
10 lifetime posts
My house is in northern NJ and it had a radon level of 6 (pico curries?) when I bought it. When I moved in, I had a certified contractor install a subslab ventillation system to "mitigate" the problem. Since the system was installed, my basement reading has dropped from 6 to about 1. At that level, the contractor told me not to worry about it anymore and that they do not suggest any further actions to try to reduce it even more.

So now my basement reads 1, the main floor reads about .6 and the upstair bedroom area is about half that. The "experts" state that outside air in NJ averages .3 or better.

But yet I'm still concerned about this level. I do not use the basement for other than storage and laundry (which is bad since i was planning to finish it and turn it into a game/family room.)

The next step I'm considering is to re-seal the entire basement (concrete floor and block walls) with a "radon-resistant" paint such as SANITRED. This would be a big job since the floors and walls would need to be stripped of the existing paint down to the bare surface for the SANITRED to be applied.

Even after i go through this process, I know there is no guarentee that the sealer would reduce the level significantly.

My main concern is that I have a 2 year old child and I want the house as healthy as possible for him.

Any ideas? Should I just stop worrying about it? Should I try other in-house air exchange systems?

Thanks.


chorlton

05:25AM | 06/27/06
Member Since: 08/29/04
35 lifetime posts
Its been a while since I was involved with gas venting, but it sounds like you have a pretty good system in place already. I think you can upgrade the ventilation system to be "active" rather than passive, but if your contractor is happy, then I would be.

KingVolcano

12:55PM | 07/27/06
Member Since: 03/03/05
273 lifetime posts
I have a good friend that is considered THE EXPERT on Radon for the US Government. We have talked at length about the subject.

I commend you for wanting to protect your child. However your child is more likely to suffer ill health issues from what he eats. Not to say Radon cannot harm him, but from what you have told me about the Radon level, it would be deemed as an uneeded concern. However if you smoke in the house and the child spends a considerable amount of time in the basement (sleeping) you may have concern.

Most household items are very bad for children including cleaning supplies and talc. If you look at the amount of chemicals that come in contact with you child on a weekly basis you will be stunned. Amonia, Clorox and chlorine for you pool are very bad for a developing child.

Your child only has one chance to grow up healthy, keep up the good work!


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button

Anonymous

Post new button or Login button
Register