Latest Discussions : Tools & Workshop


04:49AM | 06/10/05
Member Since: 06/09/05
2 lifetime posts
I own an old 2 family colonial built 1918-1920 in new haven CT. Attic was converted to a beautiful one bedroom appartment. the out side of the house is in not so hot condition. I'm trying to find some window trims and moldings to replace the rotted ones but i'm having no luck. Can't even find the old 3/4" wainscot that they used under the sofits. ********** and ***** are useless for this stuff and most other suppliers tell me they can't get it. Is there anyone around who can supply this stuff or do i have to fabricate it?



11:50AM | 06/11/05
Member Since: 11/06/02
1278 lifetime posts
It is a bit hard knowing what you are specifically looking for. Frieze is the trim under a soffit, often with an added cornice piece or bedmold. Wainscot is used at waist level trim interior, topped with a chair rail.

But terminology aside, it is true that modern trim moldings are flat and less detailed than their well designed predecessors. I restore older himes and have a Williams and Hussey molding cutter to match the existing moldings.

Another option or two you could find googling is WindsorOne wood moldings, preprimed and nicely detailed, or Fypon urethene molded materials based on molds taken from historical buildings. These are also pre-primed and impervious to rot, and have a similar density to pine.

If you see the profile you want, they can hook you up with a retailer in your area.

There is also a lumberyard called Dykes in the NYC area with an online catalouge. They supplu great moldings in pine and poplar. If not in the geographic area they are, the freight can be a killer tho.

Excellence is its own reward!


09:30PM | 06/11/05
Member Since: 12/27/02
543 lifetime posts
Email a picture to me from my trim store site, I'll see if we carry it.

Alter Eagle Construction & Design

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button