Latest Discussions : HVAC

RedWing

12:15PM | 06/18/02
Member Since: 06/17/02
1 lifetime posts
We are having a direct vent fireplace installed in our 100 year old house. We have found that our walls contain sawdust insulation. The contractor has recommended installing a metal box to vent the ventpipe through and says that this is the standard way that they handle this (yes, they are licensed to install fireplaces, and gas, etc...). The fireplace manufacturer (comfort glow) says that as long as a 1 inch clearance is maintained from combustable or non-combustable materials, that there is nothing to worry about.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Does this sound correct? OLD sawdust would be highly combustable I would think...

Any sound advice from a pro?

Thanks in advance...

BillOH

03:34AM | 08/28/02
Member Since: 07/21/02
48 lifetime posts
Little else to say except don't tell your insurance company, you may be hunting for new coverage. Yes, old (any) sawdust is quite combustible, don't do something that has any chance of causing a fire, it's just not worth it.


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button

Anonymous

Post new button or Login button
Register